CHAPTER FIFTY-THREE

On a borrowed brown horse Vál rode quietly beside Harald and Hvitserk

On a borrowed brown horse Vál rode quietly beside Harald and Hvitserk. She kept glaring behind her back at Astrid who had remained quiet since they had gotten the news about Lagertha's invite. Ivar rode ahead of them on his chariot and their army walked behind them. Flags blew in the wind slightly yet she knew the wind would get rougher on the field. Heahmund rode quietly on his horse in the back, silently like the rest yet she couldn't read what his mind was thinking.

She couldn't understand the feeling in her stomach. She wasn't nervous, anxious nor happy. It was a feeling she couldn't decode. She wasn't afraid since she knew Björn would be standing on the other side along with Ubbe and Halfdan. She wasn't happy either since Björn, Ubbe and Halfdan was standing on the other side.

As they reached the field, Vál tugged at the reins to stop her horse, letting Astrid ride beside her husband and she rode in the back with Hvitserk instead. Her heart started to beat in her chest, it pounded loudly in her ear and her breathing got rather heavy. The sound of the heavy feels and horseshoes that stomped in the slightly moist soil filled her ears. The wind hit her face and she took advantage of it and took a deep breath, filling her lungs with fresh air over and over. Then her heart stopped.

Before they had reached their side of the field she saw them. Him. Björn. Her eyes couldn't help but to glue themselves onto his wide frame, his now slightly darker skin tone yet he looked well. He was alive. She sucked in a breath, not louder than a whisper, as a bang of emotions was pumped from her chest. She tugged at the reins as she stood beside Harald, the horse neighing slightly before breathing through the nose. Silence engulfed everyone as they only stared at each other, realizing each others enemy were now standing before them. Many eyes rested on Heahmund, the new addition to Ivar's army. Vál never let her eyes leave Björn's blue eyes that was staring right back at hers.

"The sons of Ragnar shouldn't be fighting against each other. This isn't right. It isn't right for them to try to slaughter each other." Lagertha suddenly said and Vál looked at the older woman who looked impeccable as always. Her blond braided hair blew roughly in the wind. "We'll send two in exchange." She muttered to her people.

"I agree," Björn said quickly as he still looked at Vál. He didn't know his heart would react the way it did even after everything. Yet it was Vál he was looking at, the woman he believed was his. He hadn't imagined to have her as an opponent, an enemy yet there she sat on a brown horse looking more beautiful and eerie than ever. Her icy eyes was glowing under the dull grey sky. Björn looked at Vál one last time before placing at his mother then Halfdan. Then the sound of horseshoes stomping on the ground filled their ears as Björn and Halfdan made their way to the middle of the battle field. Vál swallowed as she gripped the reins tighter in her hands yet before she knew it Harald and Hvitserk made their way over. Vál discreetly looked at Ivar as she clenched her jaw tightly.

"You stay." Ivar almost growled at her and she only turned her head to look at the four men in the middle of the field.

"I wasn't going anywhere." Vál growled back through gritted teeth. Björn hid his disappointment that Vál wasn't standing before him, he kept glancing at her in the corner of his eyes.