CHAPTER THIRTY

Vál sat by Björn the night before their sail to England in the great hall

Vál sat by Björn the night before their sail to England in the great hall. Vidar was seated next to Lagertha, speaking to each other as Ulvar sat next to him and spoke to Astrid. Floki and Helga filled the space that usually was occupied by other sons of Ragnar that wasn't present. However the burning stares from Harald and Halfdan had been present on her temple since she had joined them by the table. Both brothers had been left speechless after her chat with Egil, a man who had been silent since his encounter with Vál and after Harald's rage when he had found out his idiocy to mess up his own lies.

Vál was in deep conflict, she didn't know what Harald had planned with Egil yet she had a bad feeling. However she hadn't told Björn nor anyone for that matter since she the new Queen could care for it, just like she had done with her.

"Isn't that your friend Harald?" Lagertha asked and nodded towards the door. Harald, his brother and Vál glanced at the entrance where Egil stood with a man behind him. Vál fought a smirk as she looked at Harald who cleared his throat.

"An acquaintance." Harald answered her and Lagertha nodded.

"Why don't we invite him to our table now when we got room?" Lagertha said and Harald smiled, trying to form words, lies.

"Yes, Harald why don't we let your acquaintance join us here by the table?" Vál spoke up, hiding her smirk behind her cup. "I'm sure he would enjoy to sit here, there's even an empty chair opposite the Queen herself, that's truly an honor since you've spoke so highly of him. Earl Egil." She continued tautly and the look she got from both Harald and Halfdan made her feel powerful and savage. She looked Harald in the eyes, tension thick and she engulfed it with open arms.

"Earl Egil?" Lagertha spoke with her brows knitted together.

"Yes, or soon to be, his father's sick or was he a noble fisherman I don't remember correctly." Vál said and raised her brow at Harald who clenched his jaw tightly. Vál took a sip of mead before sucking her teeth. "Maybe you remember Harald?" She asked and smirked.

"He's an Earl my Queen." Harald said, looking at Lagertha with a smile before glaring back at Vál who made him clench his fists under the table.

"Oh my bad. So much has happened these past days." Vál said barely bing able to contain her smirk on her face. "Yet your friend seems to have found himself a place to sit already." She added and looked at Egil who sat by the other warriors. Avoiding her stares.

"What was that all about?" Björn whispered to her when the conversation floated to the next one. Vál just shrugged before emptying her cup.

"Nothing, Björn. Nothing." Vál said before standing up. "I'm going back, it's been a long day." She said and Björn stood up as well yet his mother stopped him.

"I need to speak to you." Lagertha said and Björn looked at Vál who already had left for the door. Harald and Halfdan also excused themselves not long after and Vidar nodded for Ulvar to follow due to the previous tension. Ulvar left the table and Björn took his place beside his mother. Vidar started a casual conversation with Astrid who seemed rather intrigued by the mountain man beside her.