CHAPTER FOURTY-NINE

Ivar raised his brow when he looked at her, his intelligent brain trying to understand what she just had told him

Ivar raised his brow when he looked at her, his intelligent brain trying to understand what she just had told him. Vál had always had that immortal aura around her, it oozed from her body with power. She had always made sure that people who insinuated that they would kill her simply couldn't. He had always admired her as a fighter, woman and friend. He had grown up with his brothers who dreamt of being with Vál, that she sometime would've leave Björn for them.

"I can kill you?" Ivar asked and she shrugged with a smile on her face.

"Not just like that, but if you really use that skilled mind of yours as well as your skills in battle towards me the outcome might be you killing me." Vál said and smiled at him still. Ivar looked at the ground shaking his head as he couldn't believe how it would've happened even how much confidence he had in himself killing other people. "Yet don't believe I'm only on your side because I'm afraid of dying Ivar. I'm not, I simply have more friends here than I have in Kattegat. I only have Björn, Halfdan and Ubbe back there that's fighting. Here I have you, Hvitserk, Harald, some of his shield maidens and warriors." She said and he nodded.

"No mercy." Ivar said and she smiled.

"No mercy." She repeated. "I know how it feels like to lose a parent, it wouldn't feel right to fight for Lagertha and defend that kind of actions. You're not alone Ivar." She said and hugged him closer before letting go.

"How did you get over it?" Ivar asked and she let out a soft sigh.

"I guess I never did." She said and Ivar's facial expression filled itself with pain. "But I never got the chance to avenge their deaths, I didn't have the chance to kill the ones who killed my parents." She said and squeezed his shoulder.

"I don—" Ivar begun.

"Give it time Ivar." Vál said. "No one asks for you to simply get over it. What you've been through is horrible and shouldn't happen to anyone. You just need to accept the pain and grow stronger from it, yet it will take time." She continued and he nodded as his eyes roamed the ground before them.

"I—I'm glad to have you by my side." Ivar said and she smiled at him before ruffling his hair.

"I'm glad to be by your side as well Ivar." Vál said. "I've actually promised you father to always stay by your side. I've always defended you and I probably always will." She said as they began to walk towards the main hall.

"You would?" He asked with his brow said and she rolled her eyes.

"Maybe not all the time. You're not perfect yet I will try to understand you Ivar. As long as you don't simply do it without a reason I will try." She said as they walked up the stairs. Astrid, Harald and Hvitserk sat by the table eating as they talked every now and then.

"Glad you wanted to join us." Harald said as they sat down beside each other. Vál nodded as she looked at Astrid before smiling at Hvitserk and her king. Vál wanted to see if she could figure Astrid strange behavior out.