CHAPTER FOURTY

Vál hadn't noticed that the younger sons of Ragnar had made their way towards the boats to bid they farewells as her eyes were still glued on where Björn's boat previously had floated yet had sailed towards warmer parts of the world by now

Vál hadn't noticed that the younger sons of Ragnar had made their way towards the boats to bid they farewells as her eyes were still glued on where Björn's boat previously had floated yet had sailed towards warmer parts of the world by now. Ulvar nudged her arm slightly and she blinked before turning to look at him. Ulvar raised is brow as his eyes were filled with sympathy.

"Ready to sail back home?" He asked and she remained silent as she let out a sigh then she nodded. She turned to look at Ubbe, Hvitserk and Ivar who made their way closer to the boat. She could feel the tension between the brothers as they stood by the edge. She couldn't help but to wonder how they would manage to survive and not rip each others heads off as she left, Björn left and other adults that could separate them from each other. Not that it had worked perfectly so far. Vál smiled at them.

"I hope to see you Kattegat soon." Vál said to them, Hvitserk chuckled and she took a firm and rough grip of his cheeks, pressing his lips together. "If your death reaches my ear I will kill you. Slowly with an old knife in Valhalla in front of everyone." Vál said and she knew it was stupid yet she wanted her point to come across.

"We promise." Hvitserk spoke the best he could before she let go of his jaw. He rubbed his cheek as she glared at the other two brothers. She raised her brow and they nodded as well.

"Good." Vál said as the boat was pushed from the side of the land. The other boats that was following them back home was pushed from the side of the land as well when Harald's boat started to sail away towards the open sea. She took a grip of one of the ropes as she sailed further away from England. With a huff she sat down in the back of the boat, letting her eyes wander over the men and women who made sure the boat would sail them back to Kattegat safely.

Days had passed since they left England. Vál sat on her place in the back of the boat alone as she tended to her wounds. They had healed nicely yet she was still a bit sore. She ate some herbs as well to tend from the inside as well. When she was finished she got her jacket on and the sound of heavy boots against the boat filled her ears as they got louder. She looked up and saw Harald and he sat down beside her.

"How are you coping with your single days Harald? Found a back up?" She asked as she started to untangle her braids. He only chuckled as he let his eyes roam the sea.

"My single days? Shouldn't I be asking you that?" Harald asked and she rolled her eyes.

"Are you staying in Kattegat or returning home to your own kingdom?" Vál asked him and he nodded.

"I'm going back home after dropping you and your people off among some other things." Harald said and she bit the inside of her cheek. "Are you staying in Kattegat or leaving for the mountains again?" He asked as he looked ahead of them. His voice held a bitterness yet she knew it wasn't directed towards her, it was his departure from his brother.

"Staying in Kattegat hopefully." Vál said and Harald looked at her. "So Harald, other things meaning taking the crown from Lagertha's head or maybe Egil?" She asked as she looked at him with a neutral expression on her face as he turned to look at her. She raised her brow at him and he chuckled.