CHAPTER FIFTEEN

They had all a few months ago

They had all a few months ago. Björn and Hvitserk were gone with the Norwegian brothers. Ragnar and Ivar was gone as well. Vál walked out from her cabin, quickly feeling a pair of eyes resting on her body. She looked around and saw Lagertha standing by the great hall, staring at her but as soon as their eyes met Lagertha smiled at her.

Since everyone had gone of their journeys around the world Lagertha had carefully been watching the young woman, asking certain questions to her and observing Váls relationship with her ex husbands children. Vál soon saw Aslaug who had been rather distant since Lagertha arrived, she had mostly been sitting in her throne or in her cabin. She squinted her eyes when she saw Aslaug and Lagertha speak to each others, a frown quickly pulled her brows together when she saw the conversation looked rather calm and casual. The women even smiled at each other as Lagertha placed her hand on Aslaugs shoulder before embracing her in a hug.

Aslaug soon excused herself and before Vál could walk over to Lagertha her name was being shouted making Lagertha look in her direction. Vál turned to see Sigurd and Ubbe walking towards her with their bows draped over theirs chest, like she usually wore hers.

"Vál!" Ubbe shouted and Vál raised her brow. Since she had overheard their discussion about what they thought about her Vál had been rather distant but she enjoyed their company which made her eat with them, hunt with them and she had even trained with them. Without being close or helping them correcting their form. She only used her words which had sometimes tested her patience, fortunately she had a lot of it.

"Yes Ubbe, Sigurd?" She asked as they reached her.

"You want to hunt?" Ubbe asked and she let her eyes glide over to Lagertha who exchanged a few words to a passing Astrid who only nodded. Her eyes soon met with Lagertha, Lagertha nodded her head towards the great hall before disappearing into the main building herself.

"I need to speak with Lagertha, I might catch up with you later." Vál said before walking to the great hall. Ubbe and Sigurd only looked at each other with a shrug before leaving for the forest. They decided to keep close by so Vál could find them, even if Vál had kept assuring them that she'll always find them.

Váls heavy footsteps echoed in the great hall and the young woman frowned when she saw Lagertha sitting in the throne. Vál walked up to the older woman who gave her a kind smile. She stopped at a reasonable distance and raised her brow at Lagertha.

"I needed to speak with you Vál." Lagertha began and Vál nodded. Lagertha began to look around the room and suddenly the doors to the great hall was shut making Vál turn around. She could make out some of the female shapes through the cracks before she looked back at Lagertha with both her brows raised.

"Everything you see in this room, in Kattegat, is built by Ragnar and I. Without us there wouldn't have been a kingdom here, only a little farm with a small happy family." Lagertha continued and Vál nodded slowly. "This throne belong to me, it always has. We were happy until she used her black magic to infect my husbands brain and usurp upon the crown." Lagertha continued and Vál tensed when she felt the cold tone in Lagerthas voice.