CHAPTER TWENTY

Everyone looked at Vál, some more pleased than others about her choice of commanders of the heathen army

Everyone looked at Vál, some more pleased than others about her choice of commanders of the heathen army. Vál sat with a natural expression which didn't reveal a single emotion. She turned her focus on Lagertha and raised her brow. Ivar was please but her words even if he wanted to lead the army himself.

"Björn and Ivar to command the men Lagertha brings and the warriors in Kattegat, Harald you are commander for your warriors and the other earls we need to succeed will lead their own people." Vál explained and they listened to her. "I think it's more convenient to keep it that way and all the commanders will together lead the army." She added. She had seen people finding it very difficult to follow someone they've never met who think they knows that's better for them. Harald knows his people the best, both Björn and Ivar is familiar with Kattegats force.

"I don—" Ivar interfered but she glared at him.

"It's that or nothing Ivar." Vál said in a stern voice and her eyes told him she wasn't going to argue. Deep down they all knew that way one would be pleased. Ivar only let out a deep sigh as he rested his back against the headrest as he sucked on his teeth.

"Can we agree on that?" Vál asked after a while and looked at everyone. Lagertha looked at everyone, seeing them nodding slightly. "Great. How many men do we have?" She asked and looked at them.

"We got around 2000." Harald said and she looked at Lagertha before raising her brow.

"We got little over 1200 including Kattegat." Lagertha answered.

"3200, we need more. At least 4000, it's the great heathen army right?" Vál asked and they all nodded.

"600 with the earls and smaller kingdoms." Björn added.

"3800, where are we supposed to get more than 400 warriors?" Ubbe asked and everyone got quiet. Vál looked at the table as she bit her lip.

"We are we due to leave?" Vál asked.

"As fast as possible, three weeks tops." Björn said as he looked at Ivar who nodded. Vál nodded as she thought about the idea again, she had no idea how either one of them would react to it.

"I can give you 400 warriors in two weeks tops." Vál said and they all looked at her with puzzled expression. "It's not much but those 400 men and women are excellent warriors, their skills is equal to a thousand men." She added.

"Where are you supposed to get 400 warriors?" Hvitserk asked and she smirked.

"Vidar and his men." Vál said and Björn tensed beside her. "We have 600 men and women up there. I can convince them to join us." She continued and Ubbe frowned.

"We can't get all 600?" Ubbe asked and she shook her head.

"Some men needs to stay. My people would like to have a home to return to and not ashes." Vál said and he hummed.