CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

The door slammed shut behind Vál and soon the sound of the door being opened and shut yet another time was distant in her head

The door slammed shut behind Vál and soon the sound of the door being opened and shut yet another time was distant in her head. Rage, disgust and adrenaline pumped through her veins, then there was another feeling deep inside which she didn't want to acknowledge since she couldn't understand it. It wasn't the feelings she was used to feeling like happiness, even if that had been a rarity mostly in her younger days, anger and its different states from pure flaming wrath to simply being bitter. Even if it came from a small part of her, like a tiny hole it held such power which made her uncomfortable. She turned around and faced Björn who's face was stained in worry. Without a word spoken he walked up to her, carefully since he didn't know how calm she was. He placed his hand on her shoulder and when she didn't do more than wince slightly he pulled her into his embrace. His body relaxed when he felt her nuzzle her head into the crook of his neck.

"I should've killed them the first time." Vál mumbled defeatedly and Björn frowned as he stroked her hair. "I should've just had slit their throats the moment I was free of those chains. I'm so stupid!" She groaned and pushed herself away from Björn and he remained silent. In pure anger she slammed a few cup to the ground before kicking a chair only to sit down on another before burying her face into her hands. Her body shook from the adrenaline and the rage. She had let men treat her badly and get away with it. She had let them walk away without answering for their crimes, the woman who had threatened to kill Harald and his brother if they so thought about raping those girls in Paris didn't bother to avenge their disgusting behavior after that night by the pole. She loathed men who used sex as power, who used their strength on the weaker to get something that wasn't mutual.

Björn walked over to her again, kneeling in fornt of her before he took her hands in his larger and rougher ones. He saw the emotions in her eyes and she could see the slight guilt in his which she wanted to roll her eyes at so badly.

"They've tried before?" He asked and she looked away. "Vál?" He said again, this time more sternly.

"Yes." She said simply and he let out a heavy breath.

"When I held you captive?" He asked and she looked away again. "Vál?" He said again, this time sternly and slightly agitated.

"Yes." She said and avoided his eyes. She could feel how his warm hands gripped her tighter and she looked at him. Anger and guilt oozed from his blue eyes. His head hung low as a cuss word left his mouth.

"It's my—" Björn began but she snorted quickly and cut him off.

"It's not your fault Björn." Vál said and he looked at her. "You didn't know anything because I didn't tell you why I can't tell you. I was probably ashamed and thought I could handle it on my own. Second as a woman I shouldn't have to worry about the idiocy from drunken men." She continued and he opened his mouth, trying to find words which wouldn't cause her to cut him off again.

"I shouldn't have let you sit there without protection." Björn said and she rolled her eyes.

"I was your captive Björn, not a highly important guest invited for mead." She said and he rolled his eyes. "Chained or not I should be able to sit there without other men touching me against my will." She said and he nodded slightly with a deep deflated sigh.