CHAPTER FIFTY-SIX

Silence had engulfed them, only the wind was audible after Vál's demand towards Lagertha

Silence had engulfed them, only the wind was audible after Vál's demand towards Lagertha. Some probably sat and waited for jokes to be called yet nothing on Vál's facial expression spoke of joke or funny business. She didn't imagine Lagertha kneeling before her and apologizing was that big of a deal since what the usurping Queen had put her through for speaking her mind and using her own will as a free woman. A man had handed them all a cup of mead each yet Vál hadn't bothered to take hers, instead Hvitserk held two in his hands.

"This is all unnecessary, the Sons of Ragnar shouldn't be slaughtering each other. Innocent men and women shouldn't have to scarify their lives for a civil war. We shouldn't be tearing our world apart like this." Lagertha said and Vál only rolled her eyes as she tried to contain her amusement. Lagertha avoided her demands and it was humorous. Before anyone else could answer Vál was not even close to finish using her free will as a woman.

"There's a simple solution Lagertha." Vál said and shrugged her shoulders. Her eyes were colder than eyes and hard as stone. Her leather jacket that was figure sown accentuated her smaller waist, the broader shoulders on the leather jacket gave her a powerful look just as her hair. She looked well put together in her all black outfit. "Give yourself up to Ivar and the rest of you will leave Kattegat for good and everyone will be happy." She continued emotionless as she looked Lagertha in the eyes the whole time. The Queen who was now standing, to look somewhat intimidating as Vál was seated. The younger woman however sat relaxed in her seat.

"Kattegatt is mine Vál and I will defend it each and every time against intruders like you." Lagertha said and put emphasis on the latter. Vál only gave Lagertha a shit eating grin before quickly standing up and moved so only inches was between the two of them. Everyone behind Lagertha reacted yet stood back as Lagertha raised her hand slightly to stop them from interfering.

"Yet Kattegat is not really yours right Lagertha?" Vál said. "Ragnar was King, Aslaug was Queen and you were the ex wife who got screwed over with not a single tie to the throne." She continued and venom dripped from her words. Ivar only smirked as his eyes were smoldering. Vál was slowly awakening the darkness inside her and then nothing could stop her.

"I've built Kattegat from a farm to what it is today." Lagertha said, not moving back from Vál, instead keeping the inches small between them. Vál who was slightly taller than Lagertha only gave the older woman a taunting smirk in return.

"That doesn't mean you have the right to the throne nor a title Lagertha. The next in line is Björn since he's the first born son of Ragnar Lothbrok, then Ubbe, then Hvitserk, then Ivar if not Björn here gets his Sami wife Snaefrid pregnant first, then the order changes a bit." Vál said and Thor's lightning was visible in her eyes. Björn's eyes widen at her words. "But you Lagertha is not in the equation. You only are and forever will only be the mother to Björn Ironside and the ex wife of Ragnar Lothbrok. There's your titles, nothing less and nothing more." She continued in a taunting tone.