CHAPTER FOURTY-EIGHT

Ivar and Hvitserk had been in Rogaland for a day

Ivar and Hvitserk had been in Rogaland for a day. The morning sun slowly raised behind the thick fluffy clouds. Vál's loud footsteps echoed through the main hall as she walked towards the entrance. She was dressed in her black pants, black tunic and her leather jacket. Her long platinum hair swayed behind her back, the partly braided hair hung loose. A soft breeze blew in her face when she stood on the porch, overlooking Harald's kingdom with her arms crossed over her chest.

Rogaland were alive and everyone started to fix for another day in Harald's care. Families were taking care for their animals closer to the forest, other fixed their stands so everything was ready when the buyers woke as well. Her eyes travelled towards the dock, seeing mostly men got ready to leave with their ships. More fish, shellfish and whales would probably be captured during the day.

However she frowned when she saw the new Queen herself walking towards the dock, looking around as she made her way through the smaller amount of people yet she didn't notice Vál watching her every move. Harald was nowhere to be seen even if that didn't matter. Astrid were a free woman even if Harald kept his eye on his new wife. She sucked on her teeth as she watched Astrid approach a man by a boat, starting a conversation with him. They exchanged a few words before Astrid left like nothing had happened. As Astrid noticed her Vál pretended to look somewhere else.

"Early rise Vál?" Astrid asked as she got onto the porch.

"Yes, my Queen." Vál answered and looked at Astrid. "How's the first morning to wake up as a Queen?" She asked as Astrid stood beside her.

"Good yet strange. I'm not used to be called Queen, grace or your highness." Astrid answered and Vál smiled at her.

"I can imagine." Vál said as the tension between them thickened. After all she was speaking to the woman who had slept with Björn. Vál admired Astrid as an opponent and woman yet she didn't like that she had slept with Björn even if it didn't mean anything. It was the principle.

"Vál—" Astrid begun yet Harald walked outside and smiled at his Queen, wrapping and arm around her waist as he placed a gentle kiss on her temple.

"I woke up and you weren't there." Harald said and Vál fought her smile at the fact how clingy Harald was being. However it made her like the King even more, he was soft, clingy and not his usual self which was an experience. "Vál." He said and greeted her with a smile which she returned.

"My King." Vál greeted with a nod.

"What are you two talking about?" Harald asked and before Astrid could answer Vál cut to the chase.

"Just how beautiful the morning is and how the morning gives your kingdom that beautiful eerie look." Vál said and Astrid frowned slightly yet Harald seemed pleased. "I think I fancy a walk. Tell Ivar to meet me by the dock later." She added before leaving the newly wedded couple alone after Harald gave her a nod. She walked through the village, who had woken up quickly, people walking everywhere. She walked towards the dock, seeing the man who Astrid had talked to earlier were talking to a few others on the same boat who were laughing and wiggling their brows. Vál walked towards an older fisher man by the end of the dock.