CHAPTER FIVE

The sun rose behind the clouds over Kattegat

The sun rose behind the clouds over Kattegat. The people slowly waked up to take on their daily chores, train or simply rule the Kattegat kingdom. Before any of the Son's of Ragnar Lothbrok, the princes of Kattegat or the Queen herself made their presence known the people of Kattegat filled their streets. The farmers took care of their animals, the sound of metal being hammered or sharpened came from the blacksmith and the sound of metal clashing together from the warriors who decided to have an early practice.

Ubbe Ragnarsson walked out from his cabin only to meet up with his younger brother Hvitserk before they made their way towards the great hall. They stopped outside by the porch, letting their eyes wander of the village that was filled with life. However their eyes soon stopped on the same small frame that walked towards the buckets of mead. Same as every morning. Margrethe, the woman who had physically caught the attention from the younger Sons of Ragnar got a bucket for the breakfast before walking to the back of the great hall. The brothers gave each other a cheeky smile but soon Ubbe's smile faded. His eyes landed on five arrows that had been shot into one of the pillars.

"What's that?" Ubbe asked and nodded towards the arrows on the pillar. Hvitserk frowned at looked at the arrows as Ubbe walked over to them, pulling one out before looking at it. His eyes widen when he saw Ivars name written on it, he pulled the others out and saw all their names. Hvitserk stood beside him and frowned as well when he saw the names on the arrow, taking his into his hands.

"Probably Ivar." Hvitserk mumbled disapprovingly. They looked around before walking inside the great hall. Their mother, Ivar and Sigurd was already inside, eating with an odd silence. Ubbe walked put o the table and slammed the arrows onto it as he looked at Ivar.

"You thought this was funny?" Ubbe asked Ivar who sat on the end of the table. Ivar only raised his brow and looked at the arrows on the table.

"I thought what was funny?" Ivar asked with a smirk on his face. "The arrows? What about the arrows?" He asked his older brother who frowned.

"You didn't carve our names onto the arrows and shot them on of the pillars outside?" Ubbe asked and Ivar chuckled as he shocked his head. Aslaug raised her brow when she looked at the arrows. She held out her hand towards Ubbe, demanding him to give her the arrows. Her longer fingers traced over the carved writing, seeing her sons names on them made her clench her jaw tightly.

"You know you did this?" Aslaug asked and glared at them. Seeing her sons names on arrows made her alarmed, a simple joke couldn't contain her son's names on arrows. Aslaug took it as a threat and nothing else. Her sons wasn't worried but she grew anxious.

"Björn!" Hvitserk said and the oldest son walked inside the great hall. Björn's heavy boots stomped confidently on the wooden flooring. He was dressed in black pants, black tunic and a cloak with a furry coat. His hair was braided into multiple smaller braids. Björn took a seat next to Sigurd and Margrethe was quick to fill his cup.