CHAPTER FOURTY-TWO

Vál watched as her feet and hands were untied as were Astrids

Vál watched as her feet and hands were untied as were Astrids. She was hungry and her stomach turned in protest, she wanted to bend over the edge of the boat and empty her stomach, nauseous feeling had come and gone during their sail. She still wasn't used to being on a boat yet the larger waves wasn't good for her stomach. Vál stood up to stretch her limbs as her eyes roamed the ocean. Kattegat was out of sight and new land was coming closer behind her back. She took a deep breath as she tried to wrap her mind around what Harald had planned. The only thing that spoke for her to join Lagertha's side was Björn, however she would follow Ivar for the cause. She didn't approve of Lagertha's action no matter what she said and believed Aslaug had done. She knew how it felt to loose her parents, the sons had lost both accept for Björn in a short amount of time. The sound of heavy steps behind her made her look over her shoulder only to see Harald walking towards them.

"Have you thought about my proposal?" Harald asked them and she let out a sigh. Her breathing had calmed the uneasy feeling in her stomach slightly, she didn't want to give everyone of the boat the privilege to watch her throw up.

"I'm not marrying you." Both Astrid and Vál said in unison which made them smile faintly. Vál who had crossed her arms over her chest turned around to face them. Harald had asked them, through a strategical point of view, for one of them to marry him to form an alliance. Astrid was good since their marriage could sink Lagertha and Harald marrying Vál was good since she had an army in the mountains which would form a powerful alliance with his army as well as sink Björn.

Harald preferred one of them more than the other yet either one would do. He had kept an close eye at Vál since he first laid his eyes on her, he had admired her fierce persona and they way she never accepted any shít coming her way. Vál had always looked like a powerful Queen, compassionate for the less fortunate and a very skilled fighter. She was a woman he preferred to have by his side. Harald had always thought she was very attractive as well. Astrid were attractive as well and a good fighter yet his marriage to Vál would be more beneficial for himself. Vál could bring him to the royal crown of all Norway. Harald looked at Vál.

"Forget it Harald." She said as a larger wave hit the boat causing her and Harald who stood took a grip of one the ropes.

"I think you should consider it." Harald said as he looked her in the eyes. "Both of you." He added before he walked to the front of the boat. Vál only sucked her teeth before taking a seat on the opposite side of Astrid who's eyes were glued to the ground.

"He can't force us." Vál said after a while, seeing that land was approaching faster and faster. Vál quickly looked at Astrid before looking at the land ahead, however she looked back at Astrid when she remained silent. "What are you thinking about?" She asked and waited for the brunette's answer. Astrid's pale blue eyes soon met hers.

"Nothing." Astrid answered simply before looking back at the ground. Vál stood up again when she saw the village ahead, boat were tied to the ship and people were gathering by the edge of the land. A large bone tunnel was visible as well, whale. It looked different from Kattegat. A smell hit her nose that was very different from Kattegat, the ocean seemed saltier and the mixture with blood made her stomach turn. She swallowed as her throat got tighter. Harald got off the boat first when the boat was tied to the dock then Vál and Astrid followed as his men fixed the rest.