Chapter Thirty Four - Just Like your Mother

That night Jack put Faith to bed.

"Okay, washed and dried. Check, teeth brush check, Mr Snuffles..." he listed

"Check." Faith beamed

"Yes."

"Daddy."

"Yes, sweetie."

"Is Nana gonna out us?" Faith questioned her father. Jack furrowed his eyebrows.

"What? Where did you get that from?"

"I heard you and Mom talking. Nana was asking a lot of questions, then I heard her talking with Gramps about how she didn't get why Nana wouldn't just go with it like Papa Charlie, Aunt Melissa and Uncle Austin. She was getting upset, I don't like it when Mommy's upset."

"Neither do I but your Nana, she is just curious and wants the best for you."

"So she thinks we should have friends."

"Yes."

"Even though we don't look our age and never will."

"Yes, when you put it that way it sounds weird but you will have friends just not right now."

"I know, Mom has friends, Aunt Mels is her best friend. Even though you knew her before Mom."

"Yeah."

"But if Nana keeps asking questions and finds out then won't the Volturi come for us, like they did with Mom."

"No, because Nana will never know and they won't have reason to come out here."

"Okay, but Johnny could still help. He could like tell her brain not to ask questions." Jack shook his head, of course she heard that.

"Johnny is not doing anything of the sort."

"It wouldn't hurt, it's like falling asleep. Johnny did that to me once, I was teasing him and I fell asleep and woke up in the garden. I don't do it anymore."

"That may be but I've talked to her and she will leave it."

"If you say so, Daddy. Story time." Faith wiggled in her bed and curled up to her father.

"Okay what story do you want?"

"The one of how you and Mom met and fell in love." Jack chuckled

"Sweetie, that's a long one."

"So?"

"You, young lady are just like your mother. Okay. It was just over two years ago..." Jack told her the story she wanted to hear. Ali who had just put Johnny to sleep watched from the door as her daughter went the same way. Jack had just gotten to the part of training for the Sheldrake when he looked down and saw she was fast asleep. Gently he moved her and joined his wife.

"She loves that story." Jack commented as the two walked into their room. Al began to change out of her day clothes.

"I know. Johnny asked for the same one. Though he only got to me in a Cleopatra wig before he was off in dream land."

"I can't believe their one already."

"Same. They've grown so much, it's scary."

"You went through the same thing, though." Jack kissed her head as they got into bed

"Yeah which is why I get what they're going through. It's not easy having to accept that your different, that you can't be like the other kids your age because your genetically half a immortal being that ages fast. When I was their age I would walk around town seeing kids that were a few months like me and wondering why if I was like them if I was growing up the same pace they were, would we be friends?" She curled up to him

" I was younger than them when at one point i thought I was going to die before I ever lived because of my growing. They're lucky they have two loving parents a twin that loves them a life that good and secure. It took me ten years to get that."

"I know. And I'm sorry for how Nana made you feel earlier. Faith heard most of it and relayed it to Johnny. They're very protective of you."

"I know. And I know Frances means well I just don't do well with probing questions." She looked up

"Jack."

"Yeah."

"Does Frances smell different to you?"

"Excuse me." Ali sat up and faced him

"It's just that earlier, she smelt different like I could smell her blood pumping through her veins but I don't know it smelt...tainted. Like there was something wrong, infact come to think of it when we saw her a few months ago it was the same except now it's more obvious. Is she okay?"

"As far as I know. Nana would tell me if anything was wrong."

"Yeah, but I know my blood smells, we both do. Next time you see her, take a whiff just don't you nom, nom, nom, nom."

"Haha." Ali laughed and laid back down going to sleep. Leaving Jack to think about what his wife was saying.

--------

"The next morning they were sat at breakfast. Faith and Johnny shared a look, when Jack had gone out for his morning hunt and Ali was still asleep the twins had woken up and were talking about a bunch of stuff.

"Mom, Dad." Johnny started. The two parents looked up from what they were doing.

"Yes." the answered

"Faith and I were talking this morning and we were wondering if we could go to Summerland, where you two met." Jack raised his eyebrow, while Ali put her magazine down

"Why do you wanna go there."

"Because, we've heard about it so much we feel like we know the place but we haven't seen it." Faith answered

"And we both made a birthday wish that we would go there." Johnny added

"Right?" Jack drawled "Yeah, I don't think that's wise. Not right now."

"But, Faith and I thought about it , if your thinking it's because of what we look like. If people ask we're your god children that you adopted and we call you are Mom and Dad because well to us that's what you are."

"And where did you get this forward over thinking?"

"Mom" they replied looking at her. Ali stuttered

"Don't look at me I didn't put them up to this."

"Mom's right, she didn't, she just told us that's the go to excuse for children like us." Faith replied

"Please, we're bored of seeing the same old thing. Beside it's not like it's next week it's months from now."

"Yeah and you will have aged another couple of years by then."

"So?" the replied. Jack rolled his eyes and pointed to Ali

"You taught them that, they don't get that from me."

"Babe, what's the harm, they want to go and it's not like we're short of question stoppers is it. I'll just put like a veil over us or something." Jack looked at the children who were pulling their best puppy faces. Ali saw his resolve weakening.

"Okay fine."

"Yes, Score." The twins high fived "Can the Cullen's come too."

"Why not." Jack shook his head getting up and going to get ready for work.

"Yes." Faith and Johnny grinned at each other.

"You two. That will not always work." Ali told them

"What makes you say that?" Johnny asked raising both his eyebrows

"Yeah, you do it and it works." Faith continued

"How much do you two watch me."

"A lot?" they replied

"Ugh, one of these days it will bite me in the butt." Ali stood up and went to make more toast.