Chapter 2: Supplies

I woke up when the sun just came over the mountains. It had to be sixish. I rubbed my eyes and sat up. At first I couldn't figure out where I was. Then all the terrors from yesterday became fresh in my mind. I rubbed my eyes again trying to get rid of a rising feeling inside of me.

  Since everyone else was still asleep I decided to see if I could make breakfast. I got up and walked to the fridge. There were eggs. There was also a little stove top. I cracked some eggs into a pan and turned on the stove top. I also found some bread and a toaster so I popped some toast in it.

  "Do I smell food?" Miranda said stretching on the floor. She stood up and walked over to me. "Need some help?" She asked. I smiled and we went to work making breakfast for everyone.

  "Why did you wake up so early? It's 5:56!" Miranda said with a smile. I didn't usually get up that early but I guess I just couldn't sleep knowing that there was a possibility that I could die today. I shook my head to try and clear the idea.

  "Don't know. Just couldn't sleep any longer," I said shrugging. The toast popped out and I grabbed it and put in some more bread.

  "I can't believe I fell asleep during Transformers last night! That's one of my favorites!" Miranda said. I could tell she was just trying to keep the conversation going. Miranda didn't really like silence too much.

  "Yeah well at least you didn't have to deal with Kyle last night," I said smiling.

  Miranda took the smile the wrong way though. "Are you in LOVE with Kyle, Astrix?" Miranda said in a very loud whisper.

  "What? No! He was just being a flirt last night! It got really annoying! That's all I meant!" I said back to her. I looked over at Kyle to make sure he was still asleep. Sure enough he was still lightly snoring.

  "So he is in love with you!" Miranda practically yelled. She hopped up and down like a bunny.

  "No! We're just friends! Calm down, God!" I said with a smile.

  "Oh, so you like. . . friendzoned him?" Miranda asked her eyes wide.

  "No! Just chill we aren't going to get together jeez!" I said. The little gossip freak.

  "Whatever. The food is ready," Miranda said grabbing some paper plates out of the cupboard and plastic forks out of the drawer.

  "I got this," I said walking over to the four sleeping kids.

  "Wait! I found nerf guns!" Miranda said. She tossed me two and she had two. We aimed one gun at each person and started shooting nerf bullets like crazy.

  "We're under attack!" Cory said waving his hands around. He swung one hand over his head and flipped off the coach.

  Morgan and Victoria were both curled up into balls, trying to hide most of their bodies from the plastic bullets.

  Kyle on the other hand just stood up and asked, "Do I smell food?"

  When Kyle said food both Cory and the girls snapped out of it. Kyle had already snatched a plate of food off the counter and dug in. Cory followed and about a minute later so did the girls. Soon we were all happily eating food in silence.

*

*

*

*

*

  "What is wrong with the food supply here?" Cory asked grumpily.

  "There isn't enough to last us for as long as we may need it! We need to stock up now. We can replenish our supply when we get low then," Miranda argued.