Chapter 15: Leaving Town

"God damn it I hate zombies!" I yelled as I wrenched my knife out of a zombie's face.

  It had been a week since Jeff had died and in that time we had all toughened up. We had been raided of food twice within the week by Beige's people. Now we fiercely guarded the very small supply of food we had left. The food we had wouldn't last longer than a week. As soon as the food was gone we knew we had to leave but we weren't sure where we would go.

  "Honestly," Van started but stopped to stab a zombie through it's eyes with his two knives. "I could get used to this,"

  "I'm sure you could, but if you wanted to get used to this you should have done that three months ago! We are almost on our fourth month of this crap!" Ashley said punching a zombie in the face then kicking the knee so it would collapse.

  "Whatever," Van said, finishing off the last zombie. I rolled my eyes and walked back into the grocery store. Ashley and Van followed. We went back to the storage room where Trent and Nile had our food.

  "You guys done being amateurs?" Trent asked, cocking an eyebrow.

  "I'd like to see you go out everyday and kill those bitches," Van said. We had all gotten fed up with Trent constantly telling us that killing zombies weren't the first priority.

  "Yeah, honestly there is barely enough food there to feed one of us for a day let alone five of us. We really need to move on," Ashley said. Finally someone said how we had all been feeling. Trent had taken over as the official leader of us because he had the most experience in this stuff but honestly he was a complete loser.

  "No, we are staying here. If we leave we will be killed. We just need to stay and-," Trent started but I cut him off.

  "Trent! Shut. Up. We need to leave or else we are going to get killed. If you had any common sense at all you would see that we are barely getting by!" I yelled stepping up to Trent. He was a good four to six inches taller than me and looked down on me.

  "We're staying,"

  "We're leaving,"

  "Do you really want to play this game right now?" Trent asked.

  I smirked and kneed Trent in the stomach. He gasped for air and I punched him in the chest. Trent tripped and fell on his back, breathing deeply.

  "We're leaving. Today," I whispered, getting down to his level. I straightened back up and walked to Nile, Ashley, and Van.

  "Where are we going to go?" Nile asked.

  "The coast. I have investigating to do. Whether you guys will go all the way to the coast with me, I don't know and I really don't care but I'm doing it," I said. I was determined to figure out whether those people were my friends or not.

  "Yeah, I'll go," Ashley said smiling.

  "Uh, sure?" Nile said, shrugging.

  "This will be fun!" Van said with a wide smile.

  We all turned and looked at Trent, who had just gotten off of the floor.

  "Alright fine. But only because Ash is going," Trent said. Ashley huffed and crossed her arms.

  "Wonderful. Now get what you want. We leave in ten," I said, grabbing my back pack that I hadn't used for almost two weeks.

*

*

*

*

*