Chapter 49: Celebrating Peace

"Annnddd broken ribs again," Nile said to me and I rolled my eyes at him as he emphasized it.

  "That was not my fault that time," I said defensively and crossed my arms.

  "Yeah well you fractured your wrist again too," Nile said and grabbed for my wrist. I gritted my teeth as he wrapped my wrist up.

  "Fantastic," I said through gritted teeth and Van shrugged.

  "But that was it. We're safe now. The only issue we have now is the zombies," Van said and we sat in silence for a moment. Then it hit us all. That was it. That was the last of the government trying to kill us all.

  "Don't get too excited, God might play another trick on us," Darwin said quietly and somewhat crossly.

  "Oh come on! Let's celebrate!" Ashley said and reached into her back pack and pulled out a bottle.

  "Where in the world did you get wine?" Trent asked with wide eyes. Ashley grinned and gave us all that 'I'm not saying' look.

  "Honestly, you underestimate me sometimes," Ashley said and popped the cork off of the bottle.

  "None of us are twenty one though," Miranda said in a low voice.

  "Dude, who cares. It's not like it matters in an apocalypse. We might never get this chance again!" Cory said and Kyle, Van, Nile, and Trent nodded in agreement.

  Ashley took a swig out of the bottle and her shoulders relaxed a little. She passed the bottle to Trent.

  "This can't possibly be a good idea," I said and rolled my eyes. Kyle looked at me and shrugged.

  "At this moment I don't really care. Three hours ago we were fighting for our lives. I think we deserve a little bit of slack," Kyle said as the bottle went onto Cory.

  "Yeah but zombies are still an issue. We aren't safe yet," I said and glanced out the window. The snow was still falling in large flakes.

  "We just rid the world of what was left of any control in the country," Kyle said and laughed at how ridiculous it sounded, "Do you honestly think we need to jump right up and start riding the world of zombies?"

  I sighed and rolled my eyes. I didn't want to admit it but he had a good point. I leaned my head onto Kyle's shoulder and watched everyone laughing and talking. For once we were all at peace with each other.

  "What do you think is going to happen from here?" Kyle asked quietly, so no one else would hear him.

  "Hopefully we just try to survive. I heard that there is supposedly a settlement somewhere in Western Montana. Somewhere safe," I said and Kyle snorted just a little bit.

  "Oh yes, let's just believe everything that we hear shall we?" Kyle joked.

  "We could go see. What's over there. It could be the next leg of our adventure. Hiking the Rocky Mountains in an apocalypse," I said with sarcasm.

  "Wherever you are is where I want to be," Kyle whispered and I closed my eyes and relaxed. There was the old Kyle that I had missed for so long.

*

*

*

*

*

  I'm not really sure where we will all go from here. Maybe over the Rockies. Maybe we'll just stay in the area and make our own settlement. Wherever that place is that we go or stay, it'll be mostly in peace. Well, if you ignore the zombie issue, which isn't too hard to get past after you've fought them face to face.

  More people had come by while we were healing from the battle. A few more of them spoke of the place in Montana. The place that was safe. Had a wall built around it and everyone inside of it was well fed and cared for.

  But now that I think about it, I don't really like the idea of going to the settlement. Being around people that I don't know. Can't trust. Being enclosed by walls. That's not something that sounds too appealing to me.

  Why would I go somewhere else? Somewhere full of people that I fear to sleep around? Why would I choose more people over the people I have? Kyle, Miranda, Cory, Ashley, Trent, Van, Nile, and Darwin are the people I would trust with my life. Yes, even Cory.

  Sometimes I fall asleep thinking of the people we've lost along the way. Victoria, Jeff, and Morgan. Then there's everyone's personal losses. For a group of teenagers, we've all suffered quite a bit of loss, but now I think we have it all figured out.

  So, until next time, this is Astrix Richards, X, World's Most Wanted Person. However you may know me as. I'm writing this from a world full of death, and if you're reading this, you must be safe. I wish you good luck and I bid you goodnight, for if you've survived this long in a zombie infested world, I'd say you can live the rest of the time.

----- (Read Below!)

A/N

Yeah, so there was the ending of my most read book. I am so grateful for the nearly 8,500 reads I've received on this book. This story touched me in a personal way and I had so much fun (and troubles) writing it. It's been seven months since I started this and I was writing nearly everyday of those seven months.

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to read this, and I hope you enjoyed Not The Last. Thank you guys.