Chapter 8: Not The Last

3 months later

  I sat in my car with a smile on my face. Probably the first one in three months. It felt good. It was actually freeing.

  I was smiling because I had finally made it into Oregon. If my friends were still alive I was just a few hours away from finding them. There was a small piece of me that kept telling me that they were dead. That I would never see them again and I was chasing after nothing.

  "Screw you heart," I mumbled. It was beating so fast I thought that every zombie around would be able to hear it. I had only seen two or three zombies today, which I kicked the crap out of, so that must have meant that Kyle was right. There were less zombies out here.

  "There better freaking be less because I freaking drove halfway across the country for this crap!" I thought.

  I started my car and started driving. Oregon was probably my favorite state. I loved how much it rained and the beaches were amazing. One of my favorite things was the ocean.

  My car lurched and suddenly stopped. Damn it! I was so close! Why must this always freaking happen?!

  I grabbed my back pack and sniper out of the passenger seat. I threw the back pack and rifle over my back and walked down the road. I held my pistol in my hand just in case.

  My stomach growled. Crap I haven't eaten for at least three days. I should probably get on that. I had to only be a mile away from the nearest town.

  I felt a drop of liquid hit my shoulder. It was just rain, I thought. That's when a terrible smell hit my nose. I looked around, expecting to see a corpse or a rotting animal. The road I was on was pretty clean though.

  As the rain fell harder, the smell got stronger. Oh my God it was bad rain. I pulled my shirt up and over my nose and mouth and ran full bore to the distant buildings.

  When I finally got to the town I ran towards the grocery store. I ran inside without thinking. When I walked in a smell of rotting meat and rotting food hit my nose. I gagged and looked around. Yep this was a grocery store that hadn't been raided of its meat and other items that rotted easily.

  I walked towards the canned and boxed food. I grabbed a can of peaches and stabbed it with my knife to open the can. Pfft who needed can openers?

  Before I could dig into the peaches I heard the skim of a foot on the floor. I swung around and took out my pistol. The can of pitches fell to the floor. I couldn't see anyone but I could tell there was someone, or something, in the building.

  I heard the same noise come from behind me. I swung around, my gun pointed straight out, at the human figure behind me.

  "Don't shoot! I won't hurt you!" the man said. He must have been in his mid to late twenties. He had greasy brown hair and light brown eyes.

  "Oh my God. You're a human. You're a person! I'm not the last one! I'm not the last!!!" I said dropping my gun to my side.

  "Yeah. We thought we were the last actually," the man said.

  "Well, I guess we were both wrong," I said with a smile. "Wait did you say we?" I asked.

  "Uh yeah. I'm with my sister, best friend, and my dad," the man said.

  My heart fluttered. I wasn't the last one. Oh my God.

  "So what's your name?" the man asked.

  "I'm Astrix," I said.

  "Huh that's a rare name. I'm Trent," he said. He put out his hand and I shook it.

  "Come on, I'll introduce you to everyone," Trent said leading me to the storage room.

  We walked in and I could hear voices. Human voices, wow.

  "Trent! What was it? What broke-" a girl my age asked but she stopped when she saw me.

  "Calm down Ash, it was just her," Trent said pointing to me.

  "There's more of us? Oh my God and she looks my age!" the girl yelled.

  "Her name is Astrix," Trent said.

  "Hi! I'm Ashley," she said.

  "Trent! you're back!" a man said. He must have been Trent's best friend. Another man followed. He was older and had silvery black hair. Trent's dad.

  "Who is she?" his dad asked.

  "I'm Astrix," I said.

  "Where's the rest of your group?" He asked.

  "I was separated from them. I've been alone for three months," I said. My heart ached.

  "How old are you?" Trent's friend asked.

  "15" I said.

  "You are 15 and you have been alone for three months?" Trent asked. I nodded my head. "Where you from?"

  "I'm from Illinois," I said.

  "What the hell are you doing here?" Trent's dad asked.

  "I'm looking for my friends," I answered. What was this? Twenty questions?

  "You can stay with us for tonight if you want. You look half starved," Trent's friend said.

  "Thank you, I appreciate it," I said. Finally things were starting to look up.

-----

Author's Note

Ugh. I use my kindle to update and write. My kindle is also uncoordinated so when I push A on the keyboard it will do another letter. So this chapter took me like an hour to write. :/

Also! Dunn Dun duh duh!!

I'm writing another story called The School Rejects. Like I said on my profile, I'm bad at staying to one thing at a time. ;D

So... sorry for the shorter chapters. I will try to get my kindle fixed ASAP.

VOTE!!

COMMENT!!

SHARE!!

Thanks so much for reading! I'll stop with the author notes for a while :)