Chapter 26: The Granges'

"Darwin," I said. He walked in and opened his mouth to say something but I pointed at Ashley. He shut his mouth and grabbed all of his stuff with one hand and then grabbed me by my hair.

  Darwin led me outside of the house and shoved me against the wall.

  "You little bitch! I knew you would pull something like this!" Darwin yelled. He had dropped his laptop and file on the ground and had his arm over my neck.

  "I had a good reason to!" I mumbled through gritted teeth and tried to push Darwin off. He glared at me and held me down with a death grip.

  "I should kill you right now," Darwin growled. I started at him intently. Darwin put pressure on his arm and soon I was trying not to gasp for air.

  "Then do it," I sputtered. Darwin leaned towards me more and I was gasping for breath. I tried to kick at Darwin but he was holding me against the wall like his life depended on it.

  Just as the edges of my eyes were starting to get blurry, Darwin let go of me. I gasped and stared at Darwin as he turned.

  "Who are you?" I asked quietly. Darwin stopped and tensed up.

  "You know who I am apparently," Darwin said.

  "Well I know your name isn't Darwin. Who are you?" I asked again, this time more forceful since I had started breathing better.

  "Does the name Grange, mean anything to you?" Darwin asked.

  "Grange as in...?" I started, afraid to finish it.

  "Michael Grange and his son Hunter? I'll let you figure that one out," Darwin said, and that's when I realized I wasn't talking to someone named Darwin, I was talking to a boy named Hunter.

  "You're dad. He helped my dad," I said. Darwin nodded and sighed.

  "I've been going by a different name so that no one would suspect me for anything. My dad is wanted by a lot of people. I'm just his son who miraculously disappeared. If anyone were to find out that I was me, I'd be like you," he said.

  "I'm sorry," I said. I may have been on the run but at least I was still me.

  "Just because I told you that doesn't mean you can call me Hunter. I don't want to be associated with Michael. Got it?" Darwin asked. I nodded and Darwin turned away and then stopped again.

  "Oh and Astrix?" Darwin asked and then swung around and punched me in the jaw. I feel into my back and moaned. Then I felt a foot hit my bad side and I yelled in pain.

  "That was for stealing my stuff," Darwin said and then I heard retreating footsteps.

  I lay on the ground and moaned. My side had flared up again.

  I finally sat up, ignoring the pain in my side, and walked back inside. I decided, since it was still early, to go see Nile. He hadn't woken up since being shot and looked like he was getting worse throughout the day.

  I sat by his side and brushed a chunk of his hair out of his eyes. He was extremely pale and was breathing shallowly. He was shirtless and his bandage was wrapped around his right side.

  "Astrix?" A weak voice asked. I looked at Nile and saw his eyes barely open.

  "Hey Nile," I said.

  "What happened? Where-?"

  "Shh. Just get some sleep. You need to get better," I said. Nile opened his eyes a little wider.

  "I feel like shit. I must not be doing to great, huh?" Nile asked and smiled sadly.

  "You're doing fine," I said. I pressed my hand to his face. He was running an extremely high temperature.

  "I know you're lying. I'm pretty good with medicine," Nile said. I sighed and grabbed his hand.

  "No, you're not doing wonderful, but you were shot. I know how this stuff works. You will get better. Trust me," I said. Nile smiled slightly and squeezed my hand.

  Nile's smile disappeared and he said, "There's a good chance I won't get better though."

  "Don't say-,"

  "Astrix, I know about this stuff. The odds aren't in my favor at this point," Nile whispered. His voice was so weak. Not his usual reassuring, strong, voice.

  "You'll be fine," I said.

  Nile sighed and closed his eyes again. I sat on the bed by Nile, waiting for the sun to rise.

-----

A/N

Hmm... Darwin is a dirty liar, Astrix is a dirty snooper, and the next chapter is intense. This could get weird.

947 reads!!! Love you guys! So, sequel or no? PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT OR INBOX ME!!!