Chapter 27: Zombie Dogs

"Damn it!" I yelled as I kicked the door to the minivan open and climbed out. It was the fifteenth car I had tried that day. None of the cars had enough gas, the battery was dead, or they were just plain destroyed.

  "Why don't you just walk?" Trent asked and I glared at him.

  "It's starting to get cold! I'm not a fan of walking through blizzards!" I snapped. It was October tenth. Four days after Nile was shot.

  "Yeah I know but there aren't many cars that work anymore," Van said. He and Trent had come with to help find a car since they were car experts.

  "I'm aware. If I have to I will walk. I would just rather have a car," I said.

  "We'll try again tomorrow. We should head back since it's starting to get dark," Trent said. I sighed and wrapped my arms around myself. I still hadn't found another sweat shirt so I was stuck in a tee shirt.

  As we made our way back, a light rain had started to fall. The cold breeze drove the icy rain into our faces and it darkened.

  "There you guys are!" Ashley exclaimed as we walked through the door. "It's freezing out there!"

  "You're telling me," I mumbled. I flopped down onto the couch and pulled a blanket over me. Ashley sat down next to me.

  "So... when were you thinking about leaving?" Ashley asked. We were a half hour from the coast if we travelled by foot.

  "As soon as there is a break in this weather pattern. You guys do know you have to stay here, right?" I asked. Ashley sighed and nodded. We had made an agreement that I would keep going and that Ashley and the others would stay here.

  "What about... You know. Darwin?" Ashley asked.

  Darwin hadn't talked to anyone since the day I had found out who he really was.

  "I don't care. Maybe I can shoot him when he least expects it," I grumbled. I had a small bruise on my jaw and my side hurt whenever I did too much.

  "What happened between you guys?" Ash asked. I looked her in the eyes.

  "That's what the truth does to people," I said. Ashley gave me a concerned look and then sighed. She was looking exhausted and hungry. Then again we all were. There wasn't a very high food supply around the area and we had all been shaky and unable to sleep. Especially me.

  "We can't stay here," Ashley said. Her head was down so I couldn't see her face.

  "Nile can't go anywhere," I said and knew what Ashley was going to say before she said it.

  "Nile isn't doing well. For all we know, he might die. Why should we wait to find out? If we wait we will get weaker. Beige is still out there, along with the rest of the people that want you dead!" Ashley said, her head now up and glaring at me.

  I leaned in so that I was an inch away from her face.

  "Do whatever you want. I'm staying here with Nile until he gets better and I can get a car out of here," I said quietly. It was almost a challenge.

  Ashley glared at me for a minute longer and then stood up and stormed upstairs. Van was walking downstairs as Ashley shoved past him and slammed a door.

  "What's her issue?" Van asked. I narrowed my eyes and flung open the door and walked into the pouring rain. Before I knew what I was doing, I was walking. I wasn't sure where I was walking to, all I knew was that I had to put some distance between myself and the world for a while.

  "Astrix! Wait! You'll freeze out here!" Van said as he ran out the door.

  "Don't care," I mumbled and kept walking. It was dark and the only light came from the few street lights that were still flickering.

  "Astrix-," Van started but stopped. He stopped walking and stared into the direction that I was going. I stopped and looked at Van.

  "Van? What's wrong?" I asked.

  "Don't move," Van said. I followed his eyes to where there were three dogs going through a pile of trash.

  I stepped backwards slowly and as quietly as I could. I reached Van when I stepped on a stick and it snapped. Instantly the three dogs' eyes shot up and they started growling.

  "Don't make any sudden movements," Van hissed. We both stepped back carefully but every step we took away, the dogs went forwards.

  "We need to run," Van said.

  "You said no sudden movements," I said blankly.

  "I lied," Van said quietly. The dogs were now stalking towards us slowly.

  "Wait. Those dogs. They don't look like normal dogs," I whispered as one of the dogs stepped under a street light.

  "Holy shit," Van whispered.

  My eyes widened as I took in the creatures. Their eyes were a dull green that glowed in the darkness and they were missing teeth and patches of fur. The skin that was exposed looked rotten and the dogs walked with a limp.

  "They're zombie dogs," I whispered. I looked at Van and he nodded. At the same time we both swung around and ran back towards the house. Through the rain and the darkness it was hard to tell where we were going. I heard splashing behind us and low growling then a bark. I risked a look behind us and saw the dogs were gaining on us fast.

  Van was at least three feet in front of me and was throwing stuff at the dogs. I reached into my belt for my gun and felt something land on my back. I was thrown onto my face, into a puddle and felt the claws of the dog on my back. I flipped and the dog rolled off of me. I tried to stand up but another dog flew at me and I went tumbling to the ground again.

  "Astrix!" Van yelled.

  "Van, get out of here!" I yelled as I fought to keep the dog from biting me.

  I heard a bark and heard the approaching steps of another dog. Instantly I felt the heavy weight of yet another dog on me. I kicked and punched to try to keep the dogs away from me. I wasn't sure how many of the beasts were attacking me, all I know is I felt something sink into my neck.

-----

A/N

Please don't kill me...