Chapter 20: When it rains, the CIA is there

"How much farther to the coast?" Ashley asked. We had been walking for two days and only stopped for short sleeping and eating breaks.

  "Probably two or three days," I said with a heavy heart. I didn't want to leave these people. They were like family now.

  "Wonderful," I heard Trent growl. I turned and looked at him and saw what he was glaring at. There was a large storm cloud that was coming towards us and there was rain pouring from it. Of course at the moment we were in the middle of nowhere with no houses to be seen.

  "What do we do?" Ashley asked. There was no cover from the rain anywhere.

  "We keep going. There is nowhere to get away from the rain," I said. This would be a set back by a day or two.

  Everyone sighed and we kept walking. A few drops of rain started coming down which made me think that it was just a quick passing by storm. Then the rain started to come down harder. The wind picked up so the cold water was stinging our faces.

  The sky started to darken and so did everything around us. It was hard to see anything. If a zombie were to attack us we wouldn't even know.

  Then a lightning strike came down and bathed everything in light for a second. In that second I could see dark shadows coming towards us from the side.

  "Zombies. We have to run," I said just loud enough so that everyone could hear but not loud enough for the zombies to detect us.

  We immediately were running across the barren ground, interrupted by only a dirt road. Thunder sounded all around us and lightning illuminated the figures.

  "Astrix! There is a building up there!" Nile yelled over the bang of thunder that had sounded.

  I nodded and instantly Van flew past me at top speed. Wow, the guy that I thought was quite fearless was afraid of thunderstorms. We all chased after him.

  A scream sounded behind me and I turned to see the patch of ground where Ashley had been standing a few seconds earlier was charred and smoking.

  That's when I ran after Van with more intensity. Trent, Ashley, and Nile were right by me. As we got nearer to the building, I had that terrible feeling that something was wrong but I wasn't about to get charred by lightning.

  Van reached the building a minute before we did and ran inside quickly.

  Before it could happen I felt the air tense up. I threw my arms out and knocked Trent, Ashley, and Nile onto the ground and fell as well. I watched as I strike of lightning hit the ground right where we would have been. The ground let off some electricity from the strike and I was left on the ground breathing hard.

  "Come on!" Nile yelled. He grabbed my hand and lead me towards the building again. Ashley and Trent ran inside quickly and Nile and I reached it a moment later.

  I ran in hoping to collapse on the ground and sleep for days but instead I felt hands go around my waist and saw someone punch Nile in the nose then knee him in the gut. He fell to the ground and blood poured from his nose.

  A hand went around my mouth and I kicked and tried to escape from my attacker.

  The lights flickered on and I saw Van and Trent also on the ground. A man that was in his early twenties had an arm around Ashley's neck.

  "Who are you all?" The man holding me hissed.

  "Screw Off," Nile moaned. A man came out of the shadows and kicked him hard. That's when I noticed a badge on his shirt that read CIA.