Entry 8 - Humor is Essential

I honestly didn't know what to say to him the next day.

I wanted to stay hidden in my rooms, but today was another "date". We were supposed to go to lunch somewhere. Which just meant a super long time of trying to make conversation.

It was 11 a.m. and I was just sitting there, wondering what to do. Early this morning I had had a lesson on how to act in court and at social meetings. It was a lot to take in, and I still felt overwhelmed.

I wanted to go see Elliot, but I knew he and Alan needed as much time together as they could get.

So, I ended up walking to Thomas' rooms. I'd never been in them before, and figured I might as well get used to them, and to seeing him in the morning.

I knocked quietly, my hand shaking slightly for some reason.

"Who is it?"

"Umm, it's me...Alex." He didn't answer for a few seconds, and I raised my hand to knock again.

"Come in." I turned the door handle slowly, and entered his room.

It opened up into a living room, a little larger and grander then Elliot's, but it still felt like a home and not a palace. He was sitting on the couch, hands in his lap, and what looked like a tissue clutched between them.

He did a good job hiding it, but his eyes looked as if they'd recently shed tears. I felt so bad, I didn't even know what to say. I just stood there in the doorway, looking at him.

"Did you need something?" His voice was quiet, as if by just raising it, it might shatter.

"I-I just came over to spend time with you. You know, like, here...where I'm gonna be soon."

"Oh...yeah. Of course. Umm, do you want to sit down?" He gestured to the couch next to him, and I sat down a few feet away from him.

"So I was thinking," he turned his head so he could look at me when I talked. "Why don't we just pretend that we aren't engaged or anything, and just talk like normal guys would."

"Sounds good to me. So tell me, how do normal guys talk?"

"Are you being serious?" It was really hard to tell with people you didn't really know, especially Thomas.

"Kind of. As a prince I don't talk to many normal guys." He smiled, and I noticed again just how good looking he was. Seriously, I didn't know people were made this gorgeous.

"Well, you could show me around your apartments."

"Oh, that's true." He stood up, shoving the tissue in his pocket. "If you just follow me, or..."

"Sure." I smiled to try and put him at ease. He seemed tense, but I guess that made sense. I would just have to get used to him tense around me.

"Umm, so my bedroom is massive." He opened the door, revealing the room behind it.

"Oh my god! My family home could fit into here!" The walls were a light grey, making the whole thing seems even bigger than it was.

"I honestly don't know why it's this big, but it's nice."

First off, I didn't even know they made beds as big as the one in the middle of his room. Secondly, I really wanted to jump on it.

"Dude, I'm jumping on your bed."

"What?"

"I want to jump on your bed." I started walking towards it. He looked at me like he thought I was crazy, which I am, but gestured towards it.