Entry 19 - "So You're Basically An Idiot."

"Hello?"

"You seriously don't have my number saved?"

"No, I do...I just...forgot to...put a name for the number."

"You saved my number and put no name on it?"

"Umm, yes? Yeah, that's what I did."

"So you're basically an idiot."

"Well, I wouldn't put it so strongly."

"You're just an idiot when it comes to technology. Or giving your husband a contact name."

"Yeah..." He didn't sound convinced.

"It's really easy. So after this phone call, you just-"

"I know how to save numbers in my contacts. You've just never called me, okay!"

"Defensive much? I was just trying to help you with your technical difficulties. Sometimes old people need some time to get used to this new technology."

"Oh, so now I'm old, am I?"

"I wouldn't quite say decrepit, but you're getting there. I believe 'one foot in the grave' is a term often used to describe people like you."

"Damn, this got real really fast."

"Thats what you get for not saving my number. Need some ice for that, or are you gonna be okay?"

"No, I'm good." He laughed. "What did you call about anyways?"

The conversation had flown so easily up to this point. I felt bad breaking it for what I was about to discuss, but that's why I had called. I wasn't going to chicken out now.

I leaned back against the headboard, and sighed.

"I just wanted to talk to you."

"Really?"

"Yeah."

"Why? What happened? Did Jasper bug you or something?" How he could guess surprised me, but him bringing up the subject helped to talk about it.

"Yeah, a little, I guess."

"What does that mean?" His tone was harsher than I expected. Maybe harsh is the wrong word. Anxious perhaps, or concerned. The type of concern that almost sounds angry.

"Well, it all started when Elliot asked me if he could stay in my room. Apparently he didn't want Jasper paying him a late visit, and I didn't blame the kid."

"Okay." I couldn't tell he was listening intently, so I continued.

"So naturally I let him stay. Well that pissed Jasper off, and he stormed in sometime the next morning acting like something was going on. I didn't like how he was talking to Elliot, so I gave him a piece of my mind."

"Of course you did."

"He didn't much like that, and retaliated by calling me your bitch."

I heard his quick intake of breath, and knew he was probably about as mad as I had been when he said that.

"All he did was get in my personal space, and act all high and mighty, so I really don't have anything to complain of. I just...it bugged me."

"The way he acted towards you?"

"That too I guess. The thing that bugged me the most was something he said...about you."