Entry 38 - A Step Forward

I realized only when I was walking towards my own rooms that I didn't get the information I needed from Cam. I probably shouldn't go back now though. I wanted to give them time and then maybe they would do something with this perfect opportunity.

I didn't do much during the day, if you haven't already noticed. I thought that when I married a prince I would be doing all sorts of things and maybe visit parts of the country, but that hadn't happened as yet. Thomas seemed to be always busy, but I never really asked him what he did.

I was just making my way back to my rooms when I passed an open door. I didn't think twice about it until I heard someone call my name. I took a hesitant step back, and poked my head into the room.

"That is you. Come in. I don't think I've ever been able to sit down and actually talk to you." I hesitated. I mean, who really wants to sit down and talk to their mother-in-law? But really I'd didn't have anything else to do, and I couldn't think of an excuse on the fly.

I took a seat on a couch a few feet away from where she was sitting. In all the time I had been in the castle, I had only seen her on the day I arrived and the time leading up to my wedding. Of course, I had seen her on the wedding day as well, but that was over six months ago.

Her dark hair was only slightly streaked with grey, and her eyes were as dark as Thomas'.

"So, how are you?" To me, that was always and interesting question. If Jay or Cameron asked me that, I might have a lot to say, but I didn't even know her and it wasn't like I was going to tell her about how I felt at the moment.

"I'm good. And you?" It was times like these when I wished I had been trained as a royal. I felt the need to sit up straight in her presence and reply in a very civil manner.

"Relax, dear. We aren't in court now." She smiled and I relaxed slightly. She looked like Elliot when she smiled, her eyes crinkling the way his did when he was really happy.

I wondered how he was now.

"But I am doing well. I know it's been a while, but I wanted to see how you were settling in. Are you happy here?" I thought about my answer. Was I happy? I didn't have any complaints to make, so that's as good as it was going to get right now.

"It takes some getting used to, but I think I'm settling in. Only..." I stopped, not sure if she was who I would talk to about this.

"Only what?" She nodded encouragingly, and I decided that I had nothing to lose by telling her what I was thinking.

"I just wish that there were more opportunities for me to see my family. I lived with them up until this point and I'm extremely close with them all."

"I see. Yes, that makes perfect sense to me. Your mother probably misses you very much." She had a strange look in her eyes, and I thought she looked almost close to tears.

"I'm not ashamed to say that I miss her quite a bit." I laughed to lighten the mood, and she smiled.

"Yes. Perhaps you and Thomas could go to your parents for Christmas this year." Christmas was soon. Very soon actually.

"Wow, Christmas is only in like two weeks, isn't it?"

"Yes it is."

"Shit! I mean, umm...wow, that's Thomas' birthday too, isn't it?" What the hell was I supposed to do for his birthday?

"Yes, Christmas Day." There was a momentary pause, and I felt the need to say something to keep the conversation going. Before I could, she spoke again.