Entry 48 - Silence

First came a silence so heavy it could be heard for miles around. That was the first sign that today was different from any other.

Next was the set of grim faces who met in Jonathan's room an hour before breakfast was usually held. There would be no breakfast this morning, leastways, not one for all to attend. Jonathan made sure that anyone who didn't want to be involved wouldn't be anywhere near where things might go down.

This should be a clean transfer of power. All the commanders were on Jonathan's side, and most of the guards should be. Jonathan told us that again this morning.

Then why did everyone seems so nervous? If there was to be no violence, why were we all acting so somber?

Elliot's warning came to my mind again. He had said to be careful around Jasper. He was armed with a knife.

When I told that to everyone gathered there that morning, a strange look came into the eyes of Jonathan's secretary, and he he traced the scar on his face absentmindedly. Most seemed to already be aware of that information, but Thomas saw this as another reason to keep me away from whatever happened today.

My job was to see Elliot safely to the car that was to take him directly to Thomas' estate. That was the closest, and probably the safest place we could get him to in a matter of hours.

It's not that I didn't think the job was important, it's just that about ten other trusted guards would be doing the same thing, and it wasn't necessary for me to be there.

Elliot didn't think this plan would work.

It was obvious in how he had spoken yesterday, although he barely had done that at all. He was resigned to his fate, convinced that nothing we did would change his position.

Mark was in the middle of explaining something to everyone, something about how and what they would confront Jasper with. Apparently, he had unshakeable proof of many of Jasper's crimes, proof that would stand in any court.

This was to be a peaceful transfer of power, and no one was to touch Jasper, except the guards who arrested him. Jonathan was insistent on the fact.

Mark didn't looked to pleased with this information, and neither did anyone else. It was hard to tell what was going on in Thomas' mind. His face was a blank mask, but his hands were in tight fists at his sides.

The nervousness of everyone in the room was tangible. Jonathan paced the room, Mark kept drumming his fingers on the bare wood of the table he sat at, Jordan kept checking the times, muttering under his breath as the minutes dragged on, Raymond couldn't seem to keep his knee still as he sat not far from me, and Thomas was starting to sweat. I don't know how appeared to everyone, but I knew my heart had never beaten this violently before.

The clock struck nine.

I looked at Thomas, who nodded towards the door. That was my signal to go. I was supposed to go wait by the car for ten minutes, and then get Elliot. He would be waiting for me. And Jasper? Jasper would be in the courtroom, like he always was at nine in the morning.

What if today was different? What if for some reason, he didn't go to the courtroom? What if he stayed behind and when I went to get Elliot—

"Alex, you should go. You don't want to run into him on the hallway. That would ruin everything."

Jordan seemed to be the only one able to speak past his nerves. Thank god he hasn't inherited his father's voice as well as his looks.

I nodded, and stepped towards the door. They were all going to the courtroom to face him, and I was going as far away from that as I could. I glanced back at Thomas, and met his eyes. No matter how angry I was at him for making me go, I couldn't help but find a little strength from the way he nodded almost imperceptibly to me. He would be okay. We both knew would facing Jasper would entail, and I wished I could be there with him.