Entry 22 - Vows and Shots

I was once again astounded by the strength of Elliot.

He walked up that aisle with an unfaltering step, nothing in his face betraying the rising panic I knew he felt.

Not once did his voice quaver when he spoke his vows. He didn't try to make it look like he was happy, he simply knew that he couldn't fall apart now if he was to go through with this.

When the time came to say if they shouldn't be together, I held my tongue. Elliot had pulled me aside the night before, impressing upon me the importance of this marriage.

He truly had accepted his fate, and nothing I said would change that.

And so I just stood there. My part was that of the best man, but surely a better man would have done differently.

Instinctively, I scanned the crowd for my husband's face. When the silence that always followed that question fell, he locked eyes with me, holding my gaze until the the silence was broken by the man resuming the vows.

Thomas gave me the smallest of nods, letting me know that what I had done was right. No matter what they all said, it still felt wrong. I watched Elliot's face for the duration of the vows, noticing the slight quiver of the lips and the deep intakes of breath.

I couldn't bring myself to look at Jasper, wanting to imagine that he wasn't there, that this whole thing wasn't happening. But it was. I can't even imagine the thoughts running through Elliot's head as he stood there, joining himself with that man.

Before I knew it, it was all over. We had walked back down the aisle into the room we had walked in from, and Elliot had pulled away from Jasper as soon as he could, turning to hug me. I felt him shaking, his emotions finally getting the better of him.

"Thank you for being up there, Alex. I couldn't have done it without you." His voice quivered, but he wasn't crying.

"You don't have to thank me."

"I do. I wouldn't have—"

"Don't you think that hugs going on a little too long, dear? I'm getting just a little jealous over here."

The drawling voice of his husband cut across whatever it was Elliot was going to say. He lifted his head from where it was resting on my shoulder, and gave me a look that reminded me of the old Elliot that I knew and loved. I hadn't seen that side of him in a while.

"Oh, I don't think so. If you actually went and visited with some of your guests, I think you would get over it."

I did my best to hide my smile. It was about time Elliot talked back to him a little. Nonetheless, he did pull away from me, but remained standing in front of me, not bothering to face his husband.

Ugh, I hate calling him that! I'm sticking with Jasper from now on.

"Why don't we go talk to our guests together?"

Jasper had wrapped his arms around Elliot from behind, and was holding him possessively, his anger at the way Elliot had answered him showing in every line of his body.

"After all, we are newlyweds. It's only right that we do everything together."

Elliot tried to step out of his embrace, but he only had him tighter, his next words whispered fiercely into Elliot's ear. I couldn't hear what he said, over the noise that followed a wedding, but whatever he said had the effect he obviously wanted. Elliot stopped struggling immediately, shoulders dropping in a show of defeat.