𝟣.𝟥

TWO WEEKS LATER ミ☆

aurora versini
17/02/18
6:03pm
new york city, usa

"Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me," my best friend, Florence, sings to herself as she enters my apartment.

"I see you're using my spare key." I note, stepping out of the bathroom with my towel wrapped around my body.

"You're not ready!" She rushes over to me, her heels audible on the marble floor of my apartment.

"Flo, it's 6pm. The party doesn't start until 8, I'll be fine." I reassure her, sifting through my walk-in closet to find a suitable outfit. "Who's coming, anyway? Anyone I should dress up for?"

"I'm a Victoria's secret angel, now. Of course there's people worth dressing up for at my birthday party." She tells me, following me into the closet. "I've invited so many people, I got a little bit over-excited."

"Who like?" I pull out a purple silk jumpsuit and hold it up. She shakes her head.

"Loads of people I know from work, plus a few other super famous people."

"I'm gonna need names, Flo."

"Like Ariana, Miley, Justin, Shawn, Kendall and Kylie." She lists everyone by their first names, as if they're just old friends and not some of the biggest names right now. I backtrack, one name standing out among the rest.

"Shawn?"

"Shawn Mendes." She says casually, turning a corner into the far more expensive part of my wardrobe. "You know, the singer."

"I know who Shawn Mendes is. I googled him a while back. He's wearing one of my mom's suits for the met gala."

"You googled him, huh?" she smirks jokingly. "That's a big step. You sure you're ready for that kind of commitment, after Kal?" I laugh even though I don't feel like laughing. Just the mention of his name brings back the sadness, the heartbreak I've tried to get over so I can live my life again. But truthfully, I'm nowhere near over him. At this point, I'm convinced I'll ever be over him.

"It's got to happen at some point," I snap off my Kal-oriented thoughts. "Speaking of whom, you haven't invited him, have you? His sister mentioned he was back in the city for a while."

"Kal? God no, what do you think I am? Stupid?"

"We've got no proof otherwise, Flo." My other best friend Zahara retorts, walking into the room. "You still talk to Amirah?" she turns to me and asked, raising her eyebrows suspiciously. I nod guiltily. I couldn't just rip him out of my life completely, family members included. And Amirah is the opposite of him, his antithesis.

"Oh, because you're Miss Intelligent all of a sudden?" Flo hits back to Zahara, turning around.

"At least I graduated." They hug. "Happy birthday, bitch."

"Lovely supportive friends, as usual." I giggle, joining in on the hug.

"Aurora was just saying that she googled Shawn Mendes."

"Oooh, google. Sexy." Zahara laughs, sitting down on the chair in the corner and putting her feet up. "Just like Shawn."

"He is, isn't he..." Florence sighs dreamily as I kick Zahara's feet off the leather. "Basically why I invited him."

"Isn't he supposed to be with Hailey?" Zahara asks, opening my jewellery drawer.

"Well, Kendall was telling me the other day that it's all a bit of a publicity thing? It wouldn't surprise me, really." Zahara and I snort.