𝟧.𝟧

a/n;
ten chapters to go until THAT chapter hehehe shh

aurora versini
03/05/18
11:54am
new york city, usa

"We're gonna be late!" I shout from the sofa as I put on my heels, aware of Kal as he messes about with his hair in the bathroom. "C'mon, baby. You look fine."

He emerges moments later, frustrated but ready. "Just fine?"

"Hot, charming, handsome, I don't know. Whatever you wanna be." I assure him, "But right now, you're late."

He chuckles, rolling his eyes and grabbing the keys to his sports car with a smirk. "You ready to re-meet my family?"

"I am." I nod, following him down the silent hallway of my the apartment. I squeeze his hand, giving him some reassurance. Despite his annoyingly cocky façade, I could see he was nervous about today. He hasn't seen his mom in two months, and the rest of his family since January, besides Amirah. And his family is complicated, more so than mine. "I'm here for you."

"Thanks. I do appreciate you, y'know." He says, out-of-character in his humbleness. The day I saw Shawn last, he'd got a phone call from his agent about a role in a new film, which he'd ended up getting. Since then, he'd been a little better as a boyfriend, his mood clearly picked up at the prospect of re-entering his acting career.

As well as his attitude changing that day, my feelings did too. I'd tried not to dwell on it, not thinking about big issues so soon into the relationship. But I can't hide the anticipation for tomorrow, when he flies to London for the movie for a few days. It means he'll miss the met gala, but having the apartment to myself sounds like bliss, the freedom to do whatever I want without his judgemental glances is finally within my reach.

He drives us across the city to Amirah's apartment, an adorable-looking brownstone in greenwich village. I step out of the car, fixing up my yellow dress as memories I'd tried to repress begin to resurface. Memories about the last time I wore this dress, the last night in Italy. When Shawn surprised me with a date on the beach, sang that song, and he told me he loved me, and then he made the most passionate love to me on the sand. I try not to think about it as Kal follows me up the doorstep, standing behind me like a shadow as I knock on the door.

There's shuffling behind the door, making Kal grab my hand nervously without making eye contact. I nudge him in the shoulder playfully, just as Amirah comes to the door. "Kal!" She exclaims, wrapping her little brother in a hug. She lets go, her eyes falling on me. "And Aurora?"

Her eyes widen at the sight of the two of us, back together again. "You didn't tell her?" I lower my voice, directing my question at Kal.

"Must've forgotten." He shrugs, stepping inside. I shake off his strange attitude, wrapping Amirah in a hug. Kal disappears off down the hallway to greet Oscar, leaving her and I alone.

"I have so many questions."

"I bet." I chuckle nervously, wondering why Kal didn't tell his sister. I thought that would've been the first thing he did, to let her know he's back on track.

"How long have you been back together?" She asks me first.

"Not long. Since Coachella." I reply. "We ran into each other and we just went from there."

"And are things good? Better than before?"

"Yeah." I nod, "He's still a little, y'know, but I'm trying. To fix him, or something like that."

"You can't fix everyone, Aurora. And it shouldn't be your job." She tells me honestly. "I know he's my brother, and I love him. But that means I know what he's like better than anyone, even you. I can't fall under his spell like you can."