𝟥.𝟦

shawn mendes
02/03/18
7:24pm
sorrento, italy

I step out of the shower, drying my hair with a towel and chuckling softly at the sound of Aurora singing quietly as she cooks our dinner. She insisted she make it while I shower and put on some clean clothes, and I didn't want to argue. Plus, I can imagine she's an incredible cook. She's brilliant at anything she tries, I've learned so far on this trip. We haven't even been here for half a day, but she's taught me so much about herself and this incredible place she grew up in. And, I think I could be falling a little further in love with her. I mean, I've thought that before with other flings, but this is different. She's different.

Just as I begin to walk out of our en-suite and into the bedroom we'd spent the past few hours in - the sheets still crumpled from our previous activities - my phone rings from inside my backpack. It seems like a foreign sound; the only noises I've heard for 6 hours have been the sound of Aurora's voice, the chirping of the birds outside coupled with the occasional waves crashing against the cliffside a few 100 metres away. It was like paradise, but the sound of my phone reminds me of the real world back in Toronto.

I pick up my phone and relax a little once I see it's Brian that's calling me, rather than Andrew or another member of the team. I accept the call, sitting on the mattress Aurora and I are managing to make into our bed for the next week.

"Where the hell have you been?" Brian enquires angrily as soon as the call connects to him, all the way across the Atlantic ocean.

"Just got out of the shower, sorry." I reply calmly, picking at a loose thread on the towel that adorns my water-coated abdomen absentmindedly.

"Alone?" He replies, the smirk I'm aware is plastered on his face translating into his tone.

"Yeah, she insisted I give her some time to cook our dinner." I explain, searching for her silhouette in the hallway of this insanely beautiful utopia. I spot her through the thin sheath of the drape separating outside from in, setting the outdoor table with almost mathematical precision in preparation for our meal. I let out a soft chuckle, inevitably focusing on her rather than the conversation with my best friend.

"Shawn?" I make a noise of confusion. "I said, how's it going?"

"Brian, oh my god." I gush, at a loss for words to describe the past 6 hours of my life. "My life is perfect right now."

"Perfect?"

"Maybe not perfect, but close." I add. "I think it's official, Bri."

"You think what's official?"

"I think I'm officially falling in love with Aurora. In fact, I might even already be there."

"Really? So soon?" He asks, words almost caught in his throat as he wrestles with the surprise revelation.

"For real. Not that stupid, puppy love that fades after a week. Real, deep love. I can't get enough of her, all of her. I'm-"

"Okay, okay... I get your point. You love her."

"You don't get it, Brian. I'm obsessed with her." I reinforce my previous message, watching her from the other room. "I'm falling in love with the way she moves, the ghost of her accent that reveals itself whenever she talks about her past, or something she's passionate about. I'm falling for the giggle she lets out whenever I tease her about something. Her unshakeable confidence, her little dimples when she smiles her proper smile. I'm falling in love with everything about her, Brian. And I can't stop."