𝟦.𝟩

aurora versini
18/03/18
5:47pm
Toronto, Canada

"We're here- Oh. Who's this?" Shawn's mom stands at the door, her eyes flitting between Shawn and I, whilst his dad stands behind looking equally as confused.

Shawn looks at me, as if asking for permission to introduce me to his parents. I shrug and smile, butterflies erupting in my stomach at the thought of meeting his family with limited preparation.

"Oh, this is Aurora." Shawn smiles at them and then at me, reaching his hand out for me to hold. I take it, curling my fingers around his and smiling at his parents. They have the same friendly and welcoming aura as Shawn does, which keeps my nerves from going through the roof.

"Lovely to meet you, Mr and Mrs Mendes. And you, Aaliyah." I shake their hands while his sister throws me a knowing smile.

"Oh, please." His mom wraps me in a firm, friendly hug. It surprises me at first, but I eventually ease into it and hug her back. "Call me Karen, and this is Manny."

Manny smiles back at me, and I notice how alike he is to Shawn, who seems to be more worried than me. He shoots me a nervous look, but I smile reassuringly.

"You kept this quiet, Shawn." Karen points out jokingly, a grin on her face. "Are you staying for dinner? I only ordered four meals from the chinese takeaway place, but I'm sure you can have a bit of everybody's, if you want to?" She suggests.

Shawn looks at me apologetically. "You don't have to." He lowers his voice to a mumble.

"But I want to." I insist, before turning to his family. "I'd love to stay, if it's no trouble."

"None at all." Manny states confidently. "It'll be nice to get to know you, Aurora."

Shawn squeezes my hand at this, walking me over to his dining table. I take a seat next to him, opposite Karen with Aaliyah at the head of the table. "So, what do you do, Aurora?" Karen asks, smiling.

"I'm a fashion designer." I tell her, "That's actually kinda how I met Shawn, I'm designing his suit for the Met Gala."

"Oh, so you work for Versini?" Karen enquires, making Shawn look at me in surprise as they both give me some of their food. "You must be good, I hear they only employ the best."

"She's incredible, aren't you?" Shawn gushes, squeezing my hand.

"Maybe I wouldn't go that far." I blush through laughter.

"Have you ever met her?" Karen asks me, and I know exactly what she means. Shawn and Aaliyah both look at each other and then at me, while Manny simply eats his food and listens in. "You know, Elizabeth. What's she like?"

I don't quite know how to answer that question, but luckily, Shawn does. "Aurora is actually Elizabeth's daughter."

Karen takes another look at me, and I see the realisation dawn on her. "Oh my gosh, of course. Aurora Versini, right?"

"That's me." I chuckle, running my fingertips across Shawn's knuckles.

"I'm so sorry." She apologises. "I wasn't thinking."