𝟤.𝟪

shawn mendes
24/02/18
7:21pm
toronto, canada

"Gotta go now, 'Liyah. I'll call you tomorrow?" I say over FaceTime, seeing a text from Aurora pop up at the top of my phone.

"What could be more important than talking to your sister?" She retorts, chuckling. "Hold on a second, is it that girl? Is she really your girlfriend?"

"W-what girl?" I reply, feigning oblivion. She's my sister, and already smarter than me. Of course she knows something is up.

"Uhm, Aurora?" She says as if I'm stupid. "The one everyone is saying is your new girlfriend. She's pretty."

"She's not my girlfriend." I grit my teeth. Unfortunately, it was the truth. "Just friends."

"Ha. I don't believe you, Shawn."

"What's not to believe? We're just friends, simple as that."

It was not that simple. It was complicated, more than any other relationship I've ever been in. I wanted to fall in love as fast as usual, but I couldn't let myself because this time I knew I'd end up heartbroken. Other times I'd been blindsided by heartbreak, but with Aurora it was the only part of our relationship I could predict. My thoughts are lost in her, until my sister clears her throat.

"Now that is what's telling me otherwise, Shawn." She laughs softly. "You think I'm stupid? I know you Shawn. I know you're in love." She sings the last part, frustrating me even more.

"She's not my girlfriend. We're friends." I repeat sadly.

"I can tell that by the look in your eyes. You want more though, and you're stuck in the friend-zone. You're such an idiot it's becoming predictable."

"Hah. You know me too well."

"So why isn't she you're girlfriend?" She inquires, still full of that naivety I wish I had. Maybe that would be easier.

"It's not as simple as asking her out." I tell her, "She's not over her ex. You know him? Kal Aioka?"

"Oh my god, you really are an idiot." Her eyes widen, an amused look appearing on her face, "Kal Aioka? You can't even compete-"

"Low blow, much?"

"Sorry. I'm just saying, he's like a god. You've got some serious competition."

"Great to know. Fantastic." I sigh, exasperated.

"Give her time. Or forget about her." She shrugs. "Your choice. But I can tell you really like her, so you wouldn't let something like that go to waste. That's just the way you are, Shawn."

"Yup, you're right." I sigh. "Anyway, I'm gonna go now. Andrew wants me to do a livestream."

"I won't be watching!" She jokes sarcastically, waving goodbye. "Love you, though."

"Love you too, Liyah." I end the call, moving rapidly onto my messages with Aurora.

" I end the call, moving rapidly onto my messages with Aurora