𝟧.𝟦

shawn mendes
30/04/18
10:12am
new york city, usa

"Can I kiss you, just for one last time?" I request, hoping and praying she'll say yes. "And then I'll move on from this and find my girl, if you really think she's out there."

"Yes. You can kiss me." She nods, smiling up at me. I take a deep breath and kiss her in the way I always have, but I can't help but let my emotions seep in as I lean forward.

Our foreheads touch and I notice her breath hitch slightly in her throat when I pause. I want the moment to last forever, of course. But it can't.

I brush my lips against her effortlessly smooth ones, pulling her in for our last kiss. She melts into my arms, kissing me like she kissed me all those times before. Like in Italy. Fuck, that week feels like a entire world away.

The moment ends soon, and then it's over. It's all over. "The suit is great, by the way." I say, an attempt to fill the awkwardness. "So thank you for that."

"You're completely welcome." She pauses, "I'll leave you to get changed."

"Yeah. Thanks." I look away, but then I have to look at her again. For the last time. "Aurora?"

She raises her eyebrows. "Yes?"

"I'm glad he makes you happy." I say, honestly. I am, truly. She deserves the happiness he so clearly gives her.

She smiles and walks out of the door, the noise of it closing reminding me that it's over. That I need to move on. Because she's done the same, and she's happy. So I can be happy too, eventually.

If you love someone, let them go. I always thought that didn't make sense. Why would you let the person you love go?

Because they'd be happier with somebody else. That's why.

I change out of the suit and leave the office, my entire body feeling numb to any sensation. The wind, the feeling of my feet on the concrete, the pedestrians bumping shoulders with me.

But it's when I see her, making her way towards me in the crowd, that I know I'll be okay.

"Shawn!" She exclaims when she's in earshot, pulling me into a nearby doorway. "How are you?"

"I'm good. What about you, Hailey?"

"I'm good too. But I want to talk to you about something."

"Oh?" I clear my throat, surprised at her change of tone.

"Yeah. Wanna go for coffee?" She asks, tilting her head.

I ponder her request for a moment, my brain weighing up the sheer coincidence. In the same hour things with Aurora and I end, on the grounds of me finding someone else, I run into someone I clearly have unfinished business with. It has to be a sign or some form of fate. I need to believe in something, so I choose this.

"How about we go for dinner instead?" I suggest, smiling as her face lights up, "I was gonna get takeout from this thai place a couple of blocks away, but since you're here we might as well eat in?"

"I'd love to." She nods, the same smile on her face. "Is it fancy? I'm not really dressed too fancy."

I look down at her outfit as she gestures, and even though strictly speaking it's not 'fancy', she pulls it off all the same. "It'll do." I shrug, "Kidding, you look great."