Chapter One

Today was an important and sad day, and my sister, Scarlett, and I were hoping that we never had to go through this very event. It was our parents' funeral, and all of our families and friends - well, just our friends - were attending this occasion. It was especially heartbreaking because our mother and father had been the only family members whom we had left. Now that they were gone, Scarlett and I were the last two Morgans.

There are no churches or chapels in Forlot - do not ask me why - so we held the funeral in a part of the courthouse. It was the leaders' way of thanking me for helping rescue Tim and his friends and prove that Ash was innocent, and seeing that money is apparently illegal in Forlot, nobody had to worry about the financial, which I thought was cool.

Scarlett and I were standing just outside of the room where the funeral was being held and greeting our friends who decided to come and support us, and those included Mr. Hawk and his friends.

How awkward. And to think, I did not trust any of them except Lean Share.

Speaking of her, I wonder if she will show up.

I thought that not a ton of people would come because I assumed that my sister and I did not have many friends. Thankfully, I was wrong.

So many of them, especially the ones whom I met back in books four and seven, had attended that all the seats were filled up, and that made me and my sister feel a little better. We were not alone in this.

"There are lots of people who decided to support us," Scarlett remarked. She had on a black dress that reminded me of her usual red dress and shiny, black earrings. "And it is thanks to you, Margie."

I pointed at myself and felt a bit surprised. "Me? Why are you thanking me?" I was wearing my regular clothing except my red shirt. I wore a black shirt instead.

She giggled softly. "Remember who we greeted?" She motioned to the room. "Look who else we have because they know you? Libby, June, Linda, Lisa, Cassandra, Kathy, the leaders of Forlot, and the families of Nigel, Hansel and Gretel, Jorgie, and Eleanor are here. They even brought their friends."

"Oh. Yeah." Both of my cheeks grew hot because of my embarrassment of how idiotic I was, and I rubbed the back of my neck. "I should have known." I glanced at Mr. Hawk, and then back at her. "I guess that it is because Mr. Hawk has been pushing me lately. Have you noticed that?"

"Yes, I have, sis. And I was going to bring that up."

"Why do you think that he is pushing me so hard to be what he calls it 'Perfect Monster Protector?'"

She narrowed her eyebrows and rubbed her chin. "If I were to do the same, I would do it so that you can be the best that you can be. However, there is such a thing as going too far."

"Do you..." I lowered my voice. "...do you think that he is doing that because I claimed that he was a bad guy?" I fiddled with my fingers. "I still feel bad about that."

"For the last time, Margie, it is not your fault. Dr. O'Connor lied you. Manipulated you. Who knows? I probably would believe his word too if I were in your shoes."

"Even if you do not really trust strangers?"

"Even if I do not really trust strangers. Though, some strangers can get into your head real well, which is what that scientist did to you."

I crossed my arms. "He reminds of Maxwell."

Scarlett tossed her hair back. "Do not even get me started with him. He is just as crazy as O'Connor."

"Yeah, but...I thought that what Lean and I had seen in the factory that exploded was an illusion. I assumed that Dr. Maxwell was an illusion."

"He unfortunately is not, and Mr. Hawk told us that he needs the Monster Protector's help, your help, in locating Dr. Maxwell because he apparently left town."

"We will find him. No problem."

"Good." Scarlett hugged me. "See you in the room." She pulled away and entered the huge room, leaving me where I was all by myself. I sighed and looked down at my shoes.

"At least...I do hope that we find him."

Soon, everybody whom we knew had arrived and were seated in a chair. I surveyed the room, my eyes darting from side to side, making sure that nobody was left out. I let out a small gasp when I realized that somebody was missing and who it was.

Stanley. My boyfriend. Where was he?

You are probably wondering why I called him my boyfriend. Are he and I a couple now, you ask? Why, yes. Yes, we are. And it happened so fast.

After I defeated Dr. O'Connor and Mrs. M. - or Mrs. Monster in case that you do not remember - Stanley wanted to have a talk with me. I happily obliged, and he took me by the hand and led me to his bedroom. He pulled me in, shut the door, and told me to have a seat on his bed. I plopped down, and he sat next to me.

"Margie, do you have a boyfriend?" he asked.

I was in quite a shock that he would ask me that and could feel myself blush no matter how much I did not want to.

"N-no," I stuttered. "W-why do you ask?"

He took my hands into his - gosh, he was holding my hands! - and looked into my eyes.

"I had a girlfriend, but we broke up. But you...you remind me of her."

"Is that a problem?"

"Not at all. I do not love her anymore. I love you, Margie. You are way better than she could ever be."