Chapter Forty-One

Have you ever gotten that unusual feeling that you are experiencing something that you are certain that you dreamt about? For a second or two, you stay where you are, thinking. Waiting for the feeling to pass. And before you realize it, poof! It is gone in a flash.

Our writer has been through that sort of thing multiple times, and I will admit that it is hard to get a grasp of.

Little did I know that I was about to experience the same thing. The only difference was that I saw both the past - and future.

How is that possible, you may ask? I believe that it is because I am the official Monster Protector. The day that Nigel, Hansel, Gretel, and I were discharged from the hospital, Mr. Hawk told me something very interesting.

I confessed the bizarre visions to him. How I could see Dr. Maxwell, but Lean could not. How I could hear a stranger repeating my name over and over when Lean was fixing my wound.

First off, Dr. Maxwell was definitely not a part of my imagination or my visions. He is real, and Mr. Hawk suggested that Lean Share lied to me when she claimed that she did not know a Dr. Maxwell.

Lean Share? Lied to me? I was unsure about that.

Mr. Hawk admitted that he did not know everything about the Monster Protector legacy. He could only tell me what happened to him when he was the Monster Protector.

As I was hoping, he also had visions. Most of them were either weird or scary. Sometimes both. Like mine.

"What visions did you have when you were younger?" I asked him. "If you do not mind telling me."

"Hmm. I do not remember much," Mr. Hawk said. "There was one vision that scared the crub out of me."

"Really? What was it about?"

He hesitated before answering, "...my brother."

I pressed a hand against my cheek. "Which one? Biological or not? Dr. Maxwell or Dr. O'Connor?"

"Dr. Maxwell."

My face saddened. I could not help but feel sorry for him. "Did...did he do anything to you...in the vision?"

"He...he tortured me. Strapped me down on a bed so I was unable to escape. He punched me. Scratched up my face with one of his sharp tools. Taunted me. And all because he assumes that I 'stole' Laura from him, which I never did."

I covered my mouth with my hands. "My gosh."

"I am glad that it was only a vision. However...I feel that...the horrific event will occur. That is why we must find him and put him in his place."

You readers must be wondering why my writer is spending a page or two on this subject. Read on, and you will see.

Silence filled the room. Scarlett got on her knees and picked up the upper part of Margaret, her arms underneath hers.

The knife slipped from Mary Sue's fingers and clattered to the floor. Mary Sue did not bother retrieving it, for she became stunned.

My eyes were locked on the knife. I needed to get it before Mary Sue had another chance to stab yet another person.

I gulped. Probably me.

"What did you say, Ava?" Mary Sue questioned. Actually, it was more of a demand. "Answer me, Ava! What did you say about my father?!"

"Ugh. Do I really have to repeat myself?" Ava taunted.

"Yes, you son of a...biscuit."

Ava rolled her eyes. "Good one."

"Hey, I may be crazy, but even I know that using inappropriate words makes you look...well, crazier."

"Like I said moments ago, Mary Sue, your father is alive. As a matter of fact, he is in Forlot. Dr. Maxwell himself has him locked up."

I was going to make a grab for the knife, but Mary Sue snatched it. Luckily, she did not notice me.

"This...this is great news!" she exclaimed with excitement. "Quick, Ava. You must take me to him."

"Was his name Dr. Frost? That crazy man who murdered innocent people by operating on them and preserving their organs?"

"He did it because of the Lubriem! Now stop stalling and take me to him!"

Ava put her gun away and stuck out her tongue. "You have to catch me...if you can! Hahaha!" She dashed out of the room and down the hall.

Mary Sue let out a cry of frustration. "You cheat!"

With the knife in hand, she exited the room and chased after her. I let out a sigh of relief. Two psychopaths were gone from my sight...

...for now.

"Margie!" Scarlett called to me. "Margaret needs to go to the hospital right now! She is losing blood!"

I did not respond and hurried to Margaret's side. When I was close enough to her, Margaret reached up and grabbed my wrist.

I gasped as the visions started up. Dr. Maxwell.
——————————————————————————
Scarlett tossed her hair back. "Do not even get me started with him. He is just as crazy as O'Connor."

"Yeah, but...I thought that what Lean and I had seen in the factory that exploded was an illusion. I assumed that Dr. Maxwell was an illusion."

"He unfortunately is not, and Mr. Hawk told us that he needs the Monster Protector's help, your help, in locating Dr. Maxwell because he apparently left town."

"We will find him. No problem."
——————————————————————————
My parents.
——————————————————————————
"Let us see what is in this casket," Margaret said as she walked up to it. She gripped the side of the lid and lifted it up high. "Oh, look. Just what I thought." She slid off the lid. "There are no bodies in here. No bodies at all."

Rubbing my cheek and grunting, I slowly climbed back to my feet and peered inside the casket.

And saw no bodies. Not Mom. Not Dad. The casket was empty. Empty and hollow.
——————————————————————————
That is when I realized.

My and my sister's parents...were alive.