Chapter Twenty-Three

"Oh..."

I let out a groan, and my eyes fluttered open. I was immediately greeted by the most painful headache in my entire life. Worse than when Margaret broke my nose.

"Ow, ow, ow..."

The headache felt like that a band was around my head and tightening it. I was going to rub my temples, hoping to relieve some of the pressure when I came to the realization...

...that I could not even lift my arms.

I found myself leaning to the side and my head resting on a window. Feeling the severe headache, I clenched my teeth and raised my body until it was straight. My arms and hands were hiding behind my back.

Was I tied up?

"Ugh! Darn it!"

Hearing that, I knew that I was not alone.

I shifted my body away from the window and easily saw Margaret.

She was sitting next to me, and her hands were tied up too. She was kicking with her legs and struggling. She was struggling to break free from the ropes.

"Crub! Crub, crub, crub!" Margaret screamed in place of an actual curse word.

"Margaret?" I said. "Where are we?"

She stopped what she was doing and turned to me. She frowned.

"What do you mean by that?! You know!"

"I am sorry. I do not know."

"Well, you should know!"

I decided to give her a taste of her own medicine by raising my volume.

"Oh, like that I did not hear you!"

"You did hear me! You are just annoyed by me!"

"Gee, I wonder why!"

"You do not want me to be the Monster Protector!"

"Or maybe it is because you tried to murder me!"

"There she goes again! Making it all about herself!"

Before I made my comeback, the two of us heard clapping. Slow clapping.

"Girls, girls. There is no reason to argue with each other. I will give both of you the same treatment. You have my word."

We glanced at the front of what I soon figured out was a bus, and Margaret hissed.

She said, "Dr. O'Connor. Mrs. Monster."

I gasped when my eyes fell on the third person. "Sarah?"