Chapter Eighteen

After reading the last chapter, you probably have not stopped thinking about Mr. Hawk's big and life-changing announcement. Maybe you decided to stop reading this book for a while and reflect on the huge shocker. Or maybe you really desired to keep reading. That is, if you are a true fan.

Let me tell you guys that I was just as surprised as you were. As a matter of fact, I was thinking about it so much - way too much - that I had trouble falling asleep that very night.

My brain was too worked up. The wheels inside were turning and turning, not resting for even a second. It was torture.

Bedtime at the mansion is nine o'clock, and by the time that I got into my nightdress and socks, it was peace and quiet. For me, that was perfect because noises, even the slightest ones, always jerk me awake.

I lied down in my bed and pulled the covers up to my chin. I took in a deep breath and whispered to myself - it was really for my brain and body - that it was time to go to sleep. But as you might have imagined, my body did not listen.

One of them, of course, was my nose. It was not hurting as bad as it did before, but Stanley had left it wrapped up and guessed that the bandages would probably come off after two weeks.

I was bummed out about that. And yeah, breaking your arm or leg is worse than breaking your nose, however, it was hard to smell and breathe. I now had to always breathe through my mouth, which made my chances of sleeping impossible.

I rolled onto my side and thought about the marriage between Mr. Hawk and Mrs. Sanders. So many questions floated around my mind.

Are they positive that they want to get married?

When will their wedding be?

Does this mean that Mrs. Sanders will be my and Scarlett's new mother and Nigel will be our stepbrother?

And...if Nigel...that means that Stanley...

I had said that last thought out loud. My eyes widened, and I immediately sat up in bed.

"I do not want Stanley to be my other stepbrother," I stated sadly. "I love him..."

Sweat was pouring down my forehead and through my palms. I was bit concerned.

Stanley and I truly loved each other. There was no way that either of us would want to become siblings. That would be...both weird and awkward.

After calming myself down and thinking about what I should do, I came to a conclusion.

"I will tell Mr. Hawk and Mrs. Sanders about how I feel. I will even let Stanley have his say."

I suddenly felt a bit better as I made my decision. My body was relaxed, and a long yawn escaped my mouth. I stretched my arms and was about to lie back down...

...when I noticed that something was a bit off.

My bedroom door was open a crack.

Of course, it was dark in my bedroom, so I squinted at the door. I figured that my eyes were just playing tricks on me in the dark. That sometimes happens.

I stared at my door for a few more seconds before gulping. I could feel my face getting pale.

My bedroom door was indeed open. I had not left it that way. I always close the door. If there is a lock on the door, which there was not in this case, I would lock it.

I became a little paranoid. That was unusual for me, especially coming from a human who prefers monsters over humans, but I was deeply scared for my life.

Who could have opened my door? And why? Did somebody check in on me and forgot to close back the door? Was he or she going to tell me something, but thought that I was asleep?

Something told me that those were neither of the cases.

The little hairs all over me stood up, and I immediately got goosebumps as a head poked itself into my room.

I was certainly on the verge of screaming. But somehow, I managed not to and found the urge to cover my mouth with one of my sweaty hands.

I was sweating so much at this point that I was staining the sheets on my bed!

Because it was dark, I could not tell whose head it was. And I felt that whoever it was had been staring back at me.

Who was it? What did he or she want?

I slowly uncovered my mouth, and just as I was about to warn him or her that I would scream for help, he or she pulled his or her head back and took off down the hall.

For some stupid reason, I decided to chase after whoever it was and climbed out of bed. I grabbed my shirt and pants that were lying on top of the dresser and got dressed. Then I grabbed my crossbow and arrow, carefully placed them inside my bag, and swung the bag over my shoulders.

I walked up to my door and slowly opened it. The hinges did make squeaking sounds, but were not loud enough to wake anybody up.

When I had stepped into the hallway, I spotted the figure downstairs. The figure was running and reached the front door. He or she opened it and ran to the outside world.

I frowned. "That person did not even shut the door," I said.

Quickly and quietly, I hurried down the stairs and out the door. I closed the door behind me and took off into the distance.

My eyes were locked on the figure once again, and I followed. I did step on some twigs and leaves, which created loud, crushing sounds, but the figure did not seem to mind because he or she never looked back.

Where was this person heading to?