Chapter Forty-Five

"Ah! Please! My sister will be devastated!"

"Margie? Margie!"

Hearing Dr. Maxwell saying my name caused me to snap out of it. I opened my eyes wide. I blinked. Once. Twice. Adjusting my eyes to the light.

I came to my senses and found myself on my feet - and in front of my parents who were floating in the tubes.

Do not worry. They were not naked. Mom had long and curly brown hair, and Dad had short, brown hair. Mom wore a pink, short-sleeved dress that reached to her knees and low heels. Dad was wearing a red, long-sleeved shirt, gray pants, and dress shoes.

Seeing them made me tear up. But I had to fight back the tears and did not know why. Maybe to not lower my defenses when Dr. Maxwell was standing right next to me!

Now that I think about it, the wicked scientist was standing extremely close to me. So close that his elbow was pressing against mine. At first, I wanted to move to another spot in the lab, but...I did not want to leave my mom and dad.

Ignoring Dr. Maxwell's presence, I focused on my parents and rested a hand on the tube that my mother was in.

"Mom. Dad," I said under my breath. "I love you so much. And I will find a way to get you out of your prisons."

"Margie," Dr. Maxwell said. "I could not help but overhear you."

I scowled at him. "You could help it. You just want to hear me so that I will not try to escape from you."

"Oh?" He pretended to be offended. "Do you want to...leave me?"

"That was the plan. I came to see my parents."

"That is it?"

"And to free them from the tubes and return them to their rightful place. Me and Scarlett."

His face softened. "I completely understand."

Liar. That is what he was. Did he actually think that he could get me to side with him? To believe his tricks? I may be stupid, but I am not that stupid.

I turned back to my parents - and pulled my hand off the tube and stumbled back. I thought that my visions were at it again. Just like when I had a vision of Mary Sue's father, Dr. Frost, "fixing" my heart.

I clutched the fabric of my shirt. That vision...it was so real.

Inside Mom's tube, a hand was on the glass. Mom's hand.

"Mom...Mom!" I cried. I was going to get close to the tube and pound on it, when Dr. Maxwell gripped my shoulder and held me back.

"Think again," he said.

I glared at him. "You psycho! My mother is awake now! She needs me! Me and my sister!"

"Well...I can agree with you on one thing. Your beloved parents do need their child."

"You mean children."

"No. I mean child. Our writer created no such grammar mistake." He released his grip on my shoulder and got between me and the row of tubes. "Do you remember the email, Margie? That email that threatened you? You would die if you came to the town of Forlot."

I was confused as to what he was getting at, but went along with it. "Yes. I remember it as much as the day yesterday. And the day before that. And the day before that."

"Good. Then you must know who sent it to you and why."

"Did...did you threaten me?"

"Of course not. I would never want any harm to come to you, my precious daughter."

I guess because I was getting sick of him referring to me as his daughter, I snapped. I placed my hands on his chest and shoved him with all my might.

"Whoa!" He did not expect me to do that and staggered back. "Hey."

I growled and punched his face hard. "If you say that word again...I will—"

"Margie!"

I turned to wherever that voice came from - and feared for my life.

Two other villains were now in the laboratory. Ones who were definitely more powerful than me.

Oberious, the leader of those dangerous shadows. And the Creature From Beyond. Both of them were only inches from me and had on menacing looks.

"Well, well, well," Oberious said. "I was hoping that it would be Nigel. That pest has to settle a score with me."

The Creature From Beyond was on all fours and had his back up, preparing to pounce.

"Uh...hi," I said awkwardly, waving to them. "I did not expect to see you two here."

Oberious floated closer to me. "You should have. We are working with him, and he is working with us."

"Right. Would you believe if I told you that I forgot that?"

I felt a pair of hands on my shoulders and tilted my head up. I gulped as I saw Dr. Maxwell giving me a sickening glare. His nose was bleeding, but he did not care to stop the blood.

"Dr. O'Connor sent you that email," Dr. Maxwell explained. "He knew that you are the true Monster Protector. So did I. He is not a fan of you. But I am. And I knew that regardless of the email, you would come. Man, was I correct."

"L-look, I did not come to Zeolex to get in a fight of any sort," I said truthfully. "I just want my parents."

Dr. Maxwell chuckled. Chuckled darkly. "You will get them."

I was surprised by his answer. "I will?"

"More precisely, your sister will enjoy being with them. You will instead be my daughter forever!"

"What?! No!"

"I will free your parents if you promise to be my daughter."

"No!"

Readers? No, that was not me who declined. In fact, it sounded like...

I spun my head towards the entrance - and saw her. Saw them.

Lean Share, Mr. Hawk's friends, and the monsters that Margaret had taken care of were here.