Chapter Forty-Two

I jerked my wrist away, and Margaret's arm fell back down. Pound, pound, pound! went my heart as it banged against my chest. I was catching my breath and felt dizzy.

"Margie?" Scarlett said.

I heard her as plain as day, but did not reply. I was trying my best to keep my balance, and a sudden headache crept upon me. It was as if a band was wrapped tightly around my head.

"Margie?" my sister repeated. "Are you alright? I hope that you are. I already have one injured person. I do not need to take care of another, especially if it is my dear sister."

In case that it was not obvious already, Scarlett is always worried about me. I am not sure if that was crystal clear in book one.

Rubbing the side of my head, I stumbled to the open door. I prayed that the dizziness would disappear from my vision. I had to do something important. I had a mission.

As if the heavens answered me - and they most certainly did - I was no longer full of dizziness. I watched as my vision changed from blurry and weird to clear and straight. My headache was also gone.

I was leaning over a bit and straightened myself back up. I was greeted with back pain as I did so, but did not give a crub. I walked out of the room - finally, writer! - and down the hallway.

"Margie? Margie!" Scarlett proclaimed. "Where are you going? Are you going to get help?"

"Yes!" I called back to her. That was not the only thing on my agenda.

I soon spotted Mr. Hawk and Stanley chatting with each other and picked up the pace.

"Mr. Hawk! Stanley!" I exclaimed. I was not trying to sound like that I was in a panic, but that is how it unfortunately came about.

The man and my boyfriend saw me right away and met me halfway.

"Margie!" Stanley said.

Boy, I never had people wanting me or calling my name before I became the Monster Protector. Now, it seemed as if I were the most popular main character in Forlot.

Okay, okay. Some of you adore Jorgie. I can live with that. But I am a close second...right?

My boyfriend embraced me in a hug and held me close to him. "What happened in that room? Did Margaret harm you?"

"No," I denied. "In fact, Margaret was the one being harmed all this time."

"Pardon me?" Mr. Hawk said.

"It is an extremely long story, and I will gladly tell you later. Right now, Margaret needs help. She was stabbed and is losing tons of blood as we speak."

I started to make a run for it, but Stanley gripped the sleeve of my shirt.

"Where are you going, Margie?"

"I...I had a vision."

"Another one?" Mr. Hawk was already hurrying to Margaret's aid. "What was it about?"

"Not now, Stanley. Please. Not now."

I jerked away my sleeve and ran out without ever looking back. Not at any of my monster friends. Not even my own Stanley.

I staggered out of the courthouse and made my way down the sidewalk. On the way to my destination, I stopped by the mansion and picked up my crossbow and arrow. I stashed some extra arrows in my bag and swung the bag over my shoulder.

I was ready.

Throughout the entire time that I was heading to the specific building, I neither was catching my breath nor taking a break from the running. I guess that it was because I was too excited. I had already wasted time because I had not known that they were alive.

After what seemed like forever, I finally reached the building and recognized it in an instant. It was the same building that Nigel, Hansel, Gretel, and I visited back in book four.

"Zeolex," I said to myself.

I was hoping that the front door was open. It was open last time. I pushed my palm on the door, and the door opened with no problem. The hinges squeaked, but not enough for anyone who was not close to the door to hear them.

I quietly stepped inside and closed the door behind me. It was dark. At least, the room where I was in was. I was not sure about the rest of the building.

I squinted through the darkness and raised my crossbow, preparing to shoot if I needed to.

There was a wide doorway across the room, and I tiptoed over there. I could feel the fear creeping inside of me.

Was I not alone?

Was somebody hiding in the shadows? Watching me and my every move?

Should I have brought company with me?

Yeah. I should have.

I exited that room and entered a hallway. No lights were in sight, whether they be on or off.

I glanced down both directions. Should I go left? Or should I go right?

I wanted to shut my eyes and concentrate on my vision, but that was a bad idea. If I was not alone - and there was a good chance of that - one person or more could get me and either hold me hostage or...kill me.

I gulped as I felt my hands trembling. I really should have brought somebody along, like my sister or Stanley.

The fear that I would encounter somebody in Zeolex became real sooner than I expected. I felt a tap on my shoulder. A hard tap.

"Ow!" I let out. My eyes widened, and I spun around.

Standing by me was none other than Dr. Maxwell. He had his hands in the pockets of his lab coat and was smiling creepily.

"Hello, Margie," he greeted in a creepy tone.

"Dr. Maxwell," I said. I aimed my crossbow and arrow at him.

"Oh, please. You do not want to shoot me. I am the only person who can free your mom and dad from captivity."