Chapter Two

I kept asking, literally begging, Stanley to tell me some traits about his ex-girlfriend. You know. What she looked like and the type of person that she was. But he did not have any desire to tell me anything, for he feared that I would believe that she was better than me.

He was wrong on that. I had never compared myself to others. Not even to my own sister.

From my boyfriend's tone of voice and what he decided to confess to me, his ex-girlfriend was so much like me. She had brown hair and wore clothes that were similar to mine. She was also a fighter, able to defend herself and those around her.

That last part did not bother me for one second. In fact, it took me back to when I shot Mrs. M. It only proved that I was able to protect my friends and family. That is the main purpose of the Monster Protector after all.

Besides, it was not like that his ex-girlfriend was the previous Monster Protector. That would go to Mr. Hawk.

I leaned my back against the wall and thought about my crossbow and arrow. For some reason...I had that feeling. That same, unnerving feeling that was deep within me when my sister and I were at the airport, getting ready to leave for Forlot. You remember, right? It was not out of guilt for keeping a few secrets from Scarlett. It was...that feeling that Forlot needed me. And if I did not make it...Forlot would fall into a deep depression.

Was the Monster Protector supposed to have this sort of feeling? Had Mr. Hawk felt this way before? And if he did, did he still feel it?

I will have to ask him sometime after the funeral if I do not forget.

I tried fighting off that strange feeling, but it would not go away and was making me feel...concerned. I was supposed to be sad and grieving! Not being concerned!

The feeling...it was telling me that I should have brought my crossbow and arrow to the funeral. The reason that I did not was to respect my dead parents. I wanted to honor their lives, and was bringing a crossbow that could strike somebody's heart with the sharp tip of the arrow honoring? No. Also, my sister begged me to leave my crossbow and arrow at the mansion.

I did so without hesitation, but as soon as we arrived to the courthouse, the bizarre feeling boiled in my mind. Because it would not just disappear, I tried my best to figure out why it was letting me regret not bringing along my crossbow and arrow. But it was no use. The feeling would not tell me.

Was I in danger? Was something going to happen during the funeral that would put my friends and family in danger?

Speaking of family, I know that I did say in the last chapter that the only family that my sister and I had left was each other. But that is only biological. We now belonged to a new family. Mr. Hawk and his friends.

After Nigel, Hansel, Gretel, and I were free of the hospital, Mr. Hawk took me and Scarlett to an adoption center and signed adoption papers. We were now his daughters, however, Scarlett and I did not feel comfortable calling him our father. We even told him that, and Mr. Hawk understood and let us keep calling him Mr. Hawk. We were surprised that he adopted us, but were just as happy.

We were part of a family once again.

I do wish that Lean would return to the mansion and stay. She and I could be roommates!

I soon heard sounds. Multiple noises of the same sound. It sounded like the bottoms of feet slapping against the hard floor. My eyes widened, and I pushed myself away from the wall as I spotted someone running down the hall. The person was heading in my direction, and I realized who it was.

Stanley.

He stopped in front of me and placed his hands on his knees, catching his breath.

"Stanley," I said, a smile spreading. "You are here."

He looked up at me, brushing his bangs back, and grinned. "So what? You did not think that I would make it?" He reached out and took my hand. "I would not miss your parents' funeral for the world."

I giggled and examined his choice of clothing. He had on his usual clothes. "Why are you not wearing black?"

I noticed his cheeks turning pink, and he sighed. "Sorry, Margie. If I had black clothes, I would wear them."

"You do not even own a tuxedo?"

"I wish, but those are expensive."

I hugged him. "I guess that we know what I am getting you for Christmas."

Stanley hugged me back. "And I know for sure what I am getting you."

I pulled back. "Really? And what is that?"

He put a finger over his lips. "It is a secret."

I giggled again and gave him a playful slap on his arm. "You and your secrets."

He chuckled and planted a kiss on my cheek. "Shall we?"

I nodded, and we walked into the room and down the aisle. Mr. Hawk and a couple of his monster friends were sitting in the front, and there was an empty seat next to Mr. Hawk. Stanley sat there, and before I joined my sister, Stanley tugged on my hand.

"Will you be okay up there? I can join you if you want."

"Thanks. But I think that Scarlett and I should do this ourselves."

Scarlett was standing in front of a podium and behind the casket, and I strolled up and stood next to her. But the funeral did not even get the chance to begin because a girl casually strolled into the room.

"What is up? Margaret is back!" the girl proclaimed.