Chapter Forty

"You know her?" Scarlett and Margaret asked me at the same time, referring to Mary Sue.

"Yep. Unfortunately," I replied with a sad tone. "It is a long story. It all started in book seven..." I let my voice trail off when Ava slowly raised her gun and aimed it at me.

No. Not me. Margaret. She was aiming for her!

"Do not even try," Margaret threatened. "Ever since that I met you and your lies, I have changed for the better. I would like to thank my writer, the fantastic readers, and Margie. For without any of them, I would not be where I am now."

"And look where that got ya," Mary Sue spoke. "If you just accepted that your daughter belonged to Nicole, a close friend of Ava's, your shoulder would not be bleeding. Plus, Ava would not have the nerve to murder you three and dump your lifeless bodies in the nearby river."

"Gosh," Margaret said. "Your voice."

"Hmm? What about my voice?"

I suddenly noticed something shiny. Mary Sue was pulling whatever it was out of her pocket. I squinted - and felt my heart immediately drop to my stomach.

Like Ava, Mary Sue had a deadly weapon. But it was not a gun. It was a knife.

It should not be difficult to speak up, however, in horrifying moments like this, I found it hard to find my voice. I wanted to scream. Warn Margaret and my sister about what Mary Sue had on her. Sadly, I was too late.

Margaret removed the cloth from her shoulder and examined it as she talked. "You heard me, whoever you are. I may not know what kind of person you are, but I definitely know that you have the most annoying voice that I have ever heard. More so than Ava, and we all know how bad of a seed she is."

I was unable to form words and just cried out as Mary Sue rushed up to Margaret like a lightning bolt, raised her knife high into the air...

...and stabbed her in the stomach.

"Ah...ah!"

I choked on tears as I watched the terrifying scene unfold. I wanted to do something. Anything! But my legs were paralyzed with fear. My teeth chattered, and I had to cover my ears because Margaret's cries were ear-piercing.

Margaret soon became silent. She fell back and did not move. The only parts of her body that were moving were her fingers, which were twitching. Her eyes were open, and her mouth was open wide.

I covered my mouth to keep from gagging as blood in large amounts poured out from the middle of her stomach. The blood went over her shirt and onto the floor, forming a red puddle around her.

I assumed that she would not survive from that. Thank gosh that she did. Scarlett and I noticed that both her chest and stomach were heaving up and down, which meant that she was still breathing.

Mary Sue had left her knife in Margaret. After a minute or so, she reached down and pulled it out, and it was not gentle in the slightest. There was some of Margaret's blood on the the knife, and Mary Sue wiped off some of it with her finger and sniffed it.

"Mmm. She has nice blood, Ava."

Meanwhile, Ava was ticked, and that was not enough to describe how furious she was at Mary Sue.

"You fool! How could you..." Her expression changed from anger to happiness. No. Satisfaction.

"What are you smiling for?" Mary Sue questioned Ava. "I beat you to the punchline! Hahaha!"

"Are you insane?!" Scarlett shrieked. "Why did you stab her?!"

"Duh. So Ava would not have the chance to do it. Also, you should be thanking me." She motioned with her knife to Margaret. "This girl was giving you trouble. She deserved it."

"Nooooooo!" I protested. "I would never want what you did to happen to even my worst enemies. Who am I kidding? You will not listen! You are crazy!"

Mary Sue glared at me and spun the knife around in her hand. "You called me...crazy?"

"Yes! Only a crazy person would do what you did!"

"Fine. Be that way, Margie. I have no problem in killing you."

"Then what are you waiting for? End her!" Ava encouraged.

Mary Sue slowly turned her head to her. "You want me to kill her?" She stopped spinning the knife. "Why?"

"So I can set you up."

"Oh...oh." She lowered the knife. "You know...if you did not remind me of that fact, I would have ended her life. So what a fool you are for telling me so."

Ava slapped her knee and burst out laughing. We were wondering what was so funny. Even Mary Sue was curious.

"Ava, you really should take laughing pills," Mary Sue joked.

Ava stopped with the laughing and wiped away a tear. "No, Mary Sue. It is you who is the fool. How can I set you up when you have already done it yourself?"

"What are you getting at, Ava?"

"You stabbed her." She pointed a finger at Margaret, who was still alive. "You stabbed her without thinking of the consequences."

"So what? You were going to shoot and kill her."

"Wrong. I was going to use her for bait. It is rare that I kill someone unless I absolutely have to."

"Is that so? Well, I am sure that the same can be said about Caleb."

"Caleb thinks that he is free from me. Yes, I am done tormenting that little twerp. I just have to find him and murder him with no mercy."

"Why, Ava? I thought that you loved making his life miserable."

"He found out about something that he was never supposed to know."

"And what would that be? What would you possibly want to keep secret?"

"How about this secret, Mary Sue? Your father is alive. Dr. Maxwell has him."