Chapter Eight

No longer did I believe that lying mouth of hers. So why would I take in what she said about Sarah? Sarah may be Dr. O'Connor's biological granddaughter, but that did not mean that she shared the same traits with him. She clearly proved that when she shot her grandfather before he could do any harm to my sister.

I knew that. My sister knew that. We both were there. So who was Ava trying to fool?

Thankfully, my smart sister did not give in to her lies and pushed her hard. Ava stumbled back, but managed to keep her balance.

"Do not waste your breath for even a moment," Scarlett hissed.

Ava showed off the blank expression on her face as she smoothed out her shirt and ran her fingers through her hair. "You are right," she said. "I should not have stated that. I should have just kept it a secret from you and your dumbfounded sister, Margie."

Scarlett let out a cry of rage and gave her another push. Then she gripped both of her wrists and shoved her against the wall. "You...do not...call my sister that."

The creepy, blank expression remained, and she talked calmly as if getting slammed into a wall never occurred. "Which one? Dumbfounded? Or a complete idiot?"

Then to my surprise, Scarlett reached up and grasped her neck, wrapping her thumb and fingers around the flesh.

Was she about to choke her?

"My sister is not the idiot, Ava. You are. Showing your hideous face at this hospital. At a public place when people who know what you did are searching for you so that they will receive their justice."

The evil girl clamped her hands down on my sister's wrist and remained calm. "Oh, yeah? Where are my rights?"

"You have no rights." She tightened her grip on her neck. "Especially not after all the awful things that you have done."

"Scarlett," Skippy said. He rushed over to her and grabbed her by the waist, wrapping his arms around. He then pulled her away from Ava and hugged her so that she would be unable to escape from his hold on her.

"No, Skippy!" Scarlett protested, struggling. "I need to end her! Now!"

Ava stepped away from the wall and let out a disturbing giggle, and I mean disturbing.

"You cannot kill me," she stated. "I am a fictional character, and so are you. We all are and cannot die until the end of the world."

My sister stopped with her struggling and uttered a growl. "That is another lie."

"You mean the end of the world? 'Cause that has been proven."

"No. I am talking about the fictional character part."

"Oh? Do we have a nonbeliever?"

"I cannot be a nonbeliever if the whole fictional thing is nonsense!"

"Huh. The irony here. That is what most real worlders say when they do not want to have anything to do with the Lord. But does that stop the Lord from being real? Nope. Just like that it does not deny the fact that we are fictional characters in a fictional town." She glanced at Skippy, Stanley, and me as she continued. "You should all realize that by now. There is no denying it anymore, and it is all thanks to the Lubriem. We fictional characters used to be the real worlders' puppets, doing their dirty work, but no more. We are the first to come to terms that we are fictional, and soon, all fictional characters will realize the truth and be free from the real worlders. Those real worlders cannot keep it from us forever."

Silence filled the waiting room, and then Scarlett broke the silence.

"Jeez. I thought that Margaret was crazy, considering that she put my dear sister in danger and almost murdered her. But you...you are delusional."

"You call it delusional. I call it a truth that had been kept from us for much too long," Ava said. "The reign of real worlders is over. It is now time for the fictional characters' reign to rise. We need to be free."

"We are free, you delusional fool."

Skippy gently put his love's head on his chest. "This is nice, is it not?" he said. "You and me. Two lovebirds cuddling." He planted a kiss on the top of her head. "Can you feel my heartbeat? Is it not relaxing?"

Unfortunately for him, Scarlett did not listen to a word that he said and kept glaring at Ava.

"Repeat what I said over and over in your thoughts. Heck, say it out loud! Do everything that you can to convince yourself that I am right," Ava commented. "And you had better before Mary Sue takes them out."

Mary Sue? Where have I heard that name?

My eyes widened. Of course! Back in book seven. I remembered seeing her on video and chatting with the writer of this book series.

Did Ava know about Mary Sue? And why would Mary Sue take anybody out? She was not a threat. In the video, she was taken away. She was supposed to be in a mental asylum.

Ava tossed her hair back as if she were trying to attract some boys. "I have to go. There is some work that needs to be done."

She slowly walked past me and purposely bumped into me. I spun around and grabbed her arm.

"You are not going anywhere," I said.

She looked at me. "Who says?"

"Me. I have some questions for you, so you are not leaving here until you answer them."

"And...what makes you think that I will answer truthfully?"

"I will get the truth out of you one way or another."

"Margie?"

Hearing my name, I looked over my shoulder. There was an older man standing behind me and wearing a lab coat.

"Who are you?" I asked him.

"I am Dr. O'Fallon," he answered. "Now, would you mind telling me what you are doing?"