Chapter Thirty-One

We chatted some more before I suggested to her that the two of us, along with Mr. Hawk, my sister, my boyfriend, Sarah, and the creatures head on back to the mansion. She agreed with no protest.

Later, all of us were home. Mr. Hawk and the others were downstairs and in the living room, for they wanted to stand by Sarah's side.

Other than her leg and ankle, Sarah was fine. She was lying on the couch and had on a couple of ice packs, one on her ankle and one on her knee. I was just glad that she was healthy and that Stanley managed to get her out of that wreckage.

Seeing that it was almost morning, there was no reason for any of us to return to sleep. Now, you may be thinking that it would be better if we had slept in. Unfortunately, we could not because everyone was supposed to attend an occasion.

Today was Katrina's wedding. You remember her, readers, do you not? She is Hansel and Gretel's aunt.

During the day of Mom and Dad's funeral, Hansel and Gretel told me all about it. That their aunt was marrying her ex-boyfriend. I believe that the boy's name is Benny.

Benny was lucky. No longer would he be referred to as the ex-boyfriend. He would be a husband!

Also, Katrina and Benny must have been close, and I mean very close, because they now have children. A young boy and a young girl.

I was so happy for them!

Alas...that happiness completely vanished during the wedding.

I was in Margaret's bedroom and sitting on her bed, and Margaret was next to me. I comforted her and gently rubbed her back as she had her head down. She was not crying. She was just sad and probably disappointed in herself at her past and what she had done to me and the others.

"I have really messed up," Margaret muttered under her breath. "I do not see why you are giving me another chance."

"Like I explained to you back in the woods, it is the Monster Protector's job to not only protect what is right, but to assist those in need," I reminded her. "Plus, now that I know about the baby and why you have hatred towards me, it makes it easier to be in the same room with you."

She raised her head and glared at me. "I...I do not hate you...anymore."

I was so taken aback by this that I almost fell off the bed. "You...you do not?"

"Nope. Instead, I feel...good. My heart has been hurting for such a long time. But now that I told someone, someone whom I can trust...I can trust you, right?"

"Absolutely."

"Even though that you lied to your own sister when she and you first arrived here?"

"I was stupid back in book one. I was going through character development. I have matured since that book."

"What is...character development?"

"Oh. Well..." I was unsure how to answer that. I knew what it was, but I was unable to describe it. "...let me give you an example, and you would be the perfect example."

"Me?"

"Yes. Before, the readers and I assumed that you were nothing but a bully who was too full of herself."

"Hey!"

"But once you told me the whole story, something changed inside of me and our fellow readers. Now, we cannot help but feel sorry for you."

"Yeah. That is more like it. You all ought to feel sorry for me."

"And we are also sorry about your baby. She did not deserve to die, however, let us hope that she is in a better place."

"As long as she knows that I am her mother, then I do not care where she is."

I brushed back a strand of her hair. "You still need to tell Stanley and the others about this."

She shook her head and sniffed. "No."

"What? Why not?"

"I...I do not feel comfortable talking about it."

"Ah. I see."

"Besides, there is a chance, a very good chance, that I will yelled at by them."

"But it is not your fault."

"Yes, but it was my fault that I did not tell them in the first place. It was my fault that I deserted them."

I got off her bed. "You will never know how they will feel until you find out. And the only way that you will ever find out is if you tell them the truth. And leave nothing out."

"You...you are right, Margie."

"That is the spirit. Come on. You can tell them now."

"Still..."

I let out a sigh. "What is it now?"

"What if they do not understand me? None of them have gone through the horror that I had to endure."

"That may be true, but there are people out in the world who have gone through the same thing."

"I have never seen or heard those people. So how can I be sure?"

I thought for a moment before snapping my fingers. "I know!"

Margaret got on her knees and crawled up to me until she was at the edge of her bed. "You have an idea?"

"Yep! You are coming with me to the wedding as my guest, and I will show who has had it as bad as you."

A couple hours later, we arrived to the wedding. It was being held inside the courthouse, and we made our way to a huge room where the guests were supposed to be.

When we got to the right room, we found out that this was not where the wedding itself was going to be held. The only reason that we were in there was because the room where the wedding was supposed to take place was in a much smaller room.

Little did we realize that this would be a wedding to remember.