Chapter Four

Dad? Did she just refer to Mr. Hawk as her dad? And he supposedly adopted her as well?

Why do I not stop making up questions that repeat her statement?

I raised my hand. "Excuse me?"

"Not now," Margaret snapped. "I will get to you in a minute."

"No. This is important."

"Let Margie say what she has to say, Margaret," Mr. Hawk told her. "She has no idea who you are, and you had the audacity to storm in here and act like you own the place."

"I am not acting like I own the place, father of mine. I arrived to Forlot at the same time that the funeral was starting."

"And you decided to interrupt such a sad ceremony?" Stanley questioned her. "If you say that you did research on my girlfriend—"

"Incorrect. I am your girlfriend. Not her. If you desire to be in a relationship with that idiot and not me, then you need to break up with me."

Scarlett huffed out air from her nostrils. I opened my mouth, my bottom jaw quivering, and pointed at myself.

"Are you referring to me as the idiot? 'Cause the last time that I checked, I was not the one who barged in on a funeral. That is low. Even for you."

Margaret was about to respond to what I said, but Stanley beat her to it.

"You know what, Margaret? Fine. I will break up with you." He stomped over to where I was and held my hand. If I was not petrified, I probably would have fainted. And you would think that I would be used to it by now, considering that we were a couple.

His girlfriend - now his ex-girlfriend - was as angry as heck. She had on the meanest look that I had ever seen on somebody's face, and that included Dr. O'Connor. As a matter of fact, her face was so red that it reminded me of a good-looking cherry.

Do not get any ideas, shippers.

She lifted up her foot and brought it back down hard, like a kid would do during a temper tantrum. "You are supposed to break up with me properly! You know. Gently and with kindness."

My boyfriend brought me close to him so that our sides were touching. "How can I when you are not familiar with the word 'kindness'?"

Ooh! Roasted!

"Shows us what you know! I am the kindest person ever!"

I felt him gently squeezing my hand. "No. Not in the very least."

She slowly raised her hands and had them in gripping positions. "You and your 'girlfriend' are not making it out of here alive. Not when I am through with you two!"

Scarlett cupped a hand around her mouth and pointed at her. "Someone needs to call the police on her!" she said. "She made a death threat!"

Mr. Hawk was rubbing his forehead and let out a heavy sigh. "Everybody, please calm down," he said. "This is my daughter that we are dealing with, and I know for a fact that she would not hurt a fly." He paused for a moment. "Actually, she would and has. She hates flies. But my point is that she would never harm any good guys."

Margaret stared at him, and her eyelids lowered halfway. "You may have fooled the people in this room, but you cannot fool me. I know the truth. You think that I am not good enough, so you replaced me with Margie."

"I adopted her and her older sister because they lost their parents. Laura convinced me."

"Laura, huh?" She tilted her head to the side so that she could see Nigel's mom. "Wow, Laura." She clapped her hands. "Bravo!" She came to a halt at the clapping. "Not!"

"Can I ask my question now?" I asked.

"Yes, Margie," Mr. Hawk answered.

Margaret dropped her bag, letting it hit the floor. "There. You asked your question."

"That was not it. My question is how could you, Margaret, and Stanley be a couple if Stanley is Mr. Hawk's biological son and you are his adopted daughter?"

"Duh. 'Cause I am adopted. And how stupid can you be when my dad adopted you? You are with Stanley. Also..." She squinted at Mr. Hawk. "...Stanley is your son?"

He nodded. "Yes."

"Oh, great! Something else that you kept a secret from me for so long. But you told Margie because she is the best version of me."

"I told her because she happened to be in the same room with me, Stanley, and Nigel."

"Nigel? Who is Nigel? And what kind of imbecile names their child Nigel?"

Scarlett went up to her - and slapped her. Margaret cried out in pain and held the area where she was slapped. There was now a red handprint on her cheek.

"What was that for?!" Margaret exclaimed angrily.

"Get out," my sister ordered. "Nobody wants you here. Not even me!"

She picked up her bag. "Okay, fine. Jeez. But first, I would like to say something."

"Have you not already said enough?"

"Not to your sister, Margie." She walked up to me and was smirking. "Margie, I apologize for my behavior. Before I could say anything or react, she slapped me. Slapped me hard. "But not for that! You replaced me, and for that, you will pay the ultimate price!"

The slap caused such an impact that I stumbled back and bumped into the casket, falling to the floor.

"Margie!" Stanley yelled.

"Let us see what is in this casket," Margaret said as she walked up to it. She gripped the side of the lid and lifted it up high. "Oh, look. Just what I thought." She slid off the lid. "There are no bodies in here. No bodies at all."

Rubbing my cheek and grunting, I slowly climbed back to my feet and peered inside the casket.

And saw no bodies. Not Mom. Not Dad. The casket was empty. Empty and hollow.