Chapter Three

All eyes were no longer on me and Scarlett. They were on the girl who interrupted the ceremony. The girl who looked just like me.

I swear that unknown girl and I would be mistaken as twin sisters. She had long, brown hair that was in a single pigtail with a blue bow attached. Mine was in two with two red bows. She was wearing a blue, long-sleeved shirt, black pants, and black flats. She also had on blue eyeshadow on the upper part of her eyes and was even carrying a black bag that had something sticking out.

Little did I know that I was about to find out what the object was.

Scarlett glared at her, and then back at me. She continued that for almost a minute, and I knew that she was thinking what I was thinking.

Margie, how come there are two of you?

My sister stepped away from the podium and had her arms crossed. Her eyebrows narrowed, indicating that she was not pleased at all for the latest interruption.

"You need to leave immediately," she commanded the unknown girl.

The girl took a step forward and had her hands on her hips. "Why?" she asked.

"This is a funeral. A private funeral, and you are interrupting the ceremony alone with your presence."

"It is a bit different though," Tippy piped up. "Usually, it is a person who interrupts a wedding because if you disrupt a funeral, you have a dark heart."

"Shut up, Tippy," the girl spat. "You probably did not hear me earlier. My name is Margaret. Margaret Morgan."

A serious look appeared on my face. Margaret Morgan? That was my last name. Margie Morgan. Were she and I related in some way?

No. I was getting ahead of myself. Just because somebody has the same last name as you and looks...somewhat...like you, does not mean that you and that person are related in any way.

"I do not care if your name is Ugly Baloney," Scarlett stated. "You are disrespecting the dead and everybody else who attended this ceremony."

Margaret moved her head slowly from one side to the other, seeing all the people who were there. "Let me ask you this. If what you say is true, that this poor excuse for a funeral is private, why were people who are not even related to you or whom you barely know invited? I am just as much of a stranger to you as they are."

I clenched my hands into tight fists. I already got a bad vibe with her.

Was this the feeling that I was warned about?

"Hey!" I shouted. "Do not come in here and tell us that this is a poor excuse for a funeral."

Margaret shrugged her shoulders. "That is your opinion. But you know that I am right. Funerals and courthouses do not mix."

Then out of the blue, my sister snapped.

"My younger sister and I just lost our parents! Our mother and father! The ones who used to take care of us!"

"Good. Maybe now, Margie will learn how I feel."

I was surprised. "How do you know my name?" I demanded. "I do not even know you."

"You do now." She reached into her bag and pulled out a file. "I did my research on you." She threw it down the aisle, and papers fell out of the file and scattered. "I know what there is to know about you."

I could feel butterflies in my stomach, and with a quivering hand, I reached down and picked up the file.

"Go ahead," Margaret insisted. "Open it."

I gulped and opened the folder, and that is when the room was filled with a cry.

"Stop!"

Stanley jumped out of his seat and faced Margaret. His hands were balled into fists and shaking.

"Stop it, Margaret," he demanded. "There is no need for any of this."

"Well, well, well. I thought that I would never see my boyfriend again."

Scarlett's eyes widened, and she glanced at me. My legs suddenly felt so weak that I thought that I would collapse on the floor. I was that nervous and shocked.

So...Margaret was Stanley's ex-girlfriend.

"Should we stop the chapter now?" Skippy asked. "I mean, we got ourselves a cliffhanger."

"Not yet," Mr. Hawk said. "There is something else that the writer has to reveal."

Stanley ran a hand through his hair and let out a whoosh of air. "I am your ex-boyfriend, Margaret," he corrected.

"What makes you think that you are my ex-boyfriend and that I am your ex-girlfriend?"

"We broke up."

A growl escaped deep within her throat, and she slammed the palm of her hand against the wall multiple times. "You liar! We never broke up! I left, and you moved on without telling me! Because you did not tell me, we are still a couple!"

He shook his head slowly. "No. We are not."

She pointed an accusing finger at him. "Tell Margie then. Tell her why you are with her. Because she reminds you of me? Because you are still desperately in love with me? Or because you want two poor, innocent girls all for yourself."

He did not reply to her. Instead, he turned to me. "Do not believe her lies, Margie. I love you for you. I moved on without Margaret because she is toxic."

"Bull crub! Crub, crub, crub! You are the one who is toxic, Stanley. I leave, and you promised that you would be waiting for me. What do I find when I return? My boyfriend hooking up with another lady! Have you no shame?"

Mr. Hawk stood up from his seat. "That is enough, Margaret. This is not the place and time to be bringing the past up."

"On the contrary, Dad, you are just as guilty. You adopted me, and after I leave, you replace me." She pointed at me. "With her!"