Chapter Twenty-Seven

I quickly got on my knees and examined the situation. "Yep," I said. "It is definitely wedged in between."

"I know that!" Sarah shouted at the top of her lungs. "Did you not think that is the reason that I cannot pull it out? Gosh!"

I was surprised by her outburst and glanced at her. I was not hurt by her words or angry. I understood why she was full of rage.

"Sorry" was the only word that I could muster as I thought of the ways to free her leg and went to work.

Sarah let out a heavy sigh. "Do not be sorry. I am the one who should be sorry. It is just that—"

"No, no. I get it," I cut in. "I would do the same thing to you or somebody else if I were in pain."

"Speaking of pain, Margie, how is your nose?"

"I am not sure. I will have to check." I gently touched the tip of my nose with the tip of my finger...and something was off.

The bandages...they were gone!

"Sarah..." I pointed at my nose. "...are there white bandages on my nose?"

"No. The bandages must have gotten loose and fallen off because when I helped you up earlier, the bandages were on the bus floor and no longer on your nose."

"...huh. You would think that I would realize that the bandages are not on me sooner or later."

"I assumed that you knew. That is why I did not say anything about it."

I shrugged my shoulders. "I guess that being held hostage by those psycho grandparents of yours, no offense, makes you forget almost everything else."

I grabbed ahold of her ankle, wrapping my thumbs and fingers around it, and pulled. I did not pull hard because I did not want to cause my friend more pain than she was already in, but that apparently was too much for her.

"Ah!" Sarah gritted her teeth and began breathing hard. "Stop!"

I looked at her and let go of her ankle. "I was going easy on you and your leg. I swear," I informed.

"I...thought that you were..." She rolled onto her back and put her palm on her stomach. "Why does it feel like that I am about to give birth?"

"Probably because you are in such agony. I thought that my nose was going to give birth."

She must have found that funny because she giggled softly. "That is impossible. But that would be hilarious to see."

I rolled my eyes, smiling a little. "I will have you out momentarily." I looked away and mumbled this next part under my breath. "I hope."

I had another idea. I was thinking that if I had enough strength within me, I could push the brake and gas pedal away from the sides of Sarah's leg. Then she or I could pull her leg out of the way.

It was a bit of a stretch, but it was the only plan that I had in mind at the time.

I placed my palms on the brake and gas pedal and used up the rest of my strength. I could feel sweat in my palms, and my forehead was drenched in sweat.

"Careful, Margie," Sarah said weakly. "Do not strain yourself. That is a good way to get a stroke, and strokes can kill you."

But her warning was not what stopped me. It was the voice of my dear sister who had called for me.

"Margie!"

When I came to the realization that it was my own sister who said that, my face flushed.

"Oh, no. Not again," I said out loud.

"Hey. Just be glad that you did not lie to her in this book," Sarah reminded me.

"Yeah. But I forgot to leave a note that I was out."

"Oh. That is why your sister said your name in a panic."

I stood back up. "Will you be okay if I go and have a talk with Scarlett? Maybe she could help."

"Yes. Please. The more, the better."

I poked my head out of one of the windows that was completely shattered and nothing now but a big hole.

There was Scarlett. And her boyfriend Skippy. And Mr. Hawk. And my boyfriend Stanley. And the other creatures. They did not look mad or upset. They seemed concerned, which I guessed that it was lucky for me.

Scarlett instantly spotted me as soon as I showed my head. "Margie!"

I gulped and slowly and carefully exited the wrecked bus.

"I know what you all are thinking. That what you are seeing is a bad sight. And you would be correct."

My sister ran up to me and hugged me ever so tightly. "I am so happy that you are okay, sis."

I hugged her back and asked, "How did you find us?"

She pulled away from me and raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean 'How did you find us?' Are you saying that you are not the only one here?"

"Yes, Scarlett. I do not know where Margaret went. I tossed her out the window."

"You what?!" Mr. Hawk exclaimed.

"I was rescuing her. Getting her far from the bus before it crashed."

Scarlett's eyes widened. "You and Margaret were in it?" She pointed a finger at the wrecked bus. "In that bus?"

"Yes, but it was not our faults. Dr. O'Connor and Mrs. M. kidnapped us."

Mr. Hawk tapped his foot. "Where are they now?"

"They are not in the bus. They must have escaped."

As I said that, I saw Margaret rushing over to me. Her hands were untied, and there was fury in her eyes.

"You!" She gripped my shirt - and hoisted me into the air! "How dare you throw me out the window! I am not trash!"

"Margaret!" Mr. Hawk yelled.

"You are lucky that I am not pregnant. I would have lost my baby in that fall!"