Chapter Seven

"You liar!" Margaret shouted at the top of her lungs. Thankfully, no one else was in the waiting room at that time, which was a miracle because who would want their ears to bleed?

Ava pulled herself back and rubbed her cheek. No red spot was left on her cheek, and she grinned at Margaret. "You poor, delusional girl," she said. "Why would I be lying about the truth? That is what happened after all."

Margaret was in rage and attempted to slap her again, but Mr. Hawk and Stanley rushed to either side of her and grabbed her arms, holding her back.

"Oh, dear," Mr. Hawk mumbled even though that it was loud enough for all of us to hear. "Honey, you need to stop this. Right now."

"I will never stop!" She thrashed her arms, trying to make the boys let go of her. "That witch..." She had her eyes glued on Ava. "...that lying, disgusting monster...she did it."

"I have no clue as to what she is talking about," Ava commented.

She stopped struggling. "Do you actually think that you could get away with what you did? What you did to me?!"

"We were friends."

"The keyword is 'were.'"

What? Those two were friends? I guess that evil and mentally unstable can go hand in hand.

There was a gray door that led to an average office, and two tall and large men wearing white shirts and white pants walked out of there and over to Margaret, Stanley, and Mr. Hawk. I then noticed that one of them was holding a needle.

"We will take it from here," the man with the needle told Mr. Hawk and Stanley. "We left her unattended because we were having a chat with her doctor and asked this nice, responsible young lady..." He motioned to Ava. "...to babysit her."

Ava? Nice and responsible? Those three words do not go together. Besides, leaving Margaret with her was a big mistake.

"Leaving my ex-girlfriend with that girl was a big mistake," Stanley said.

That is what I said!

"From what Margaret had to say, it seems like that she and that girl know each other," Mr. Hawk explained.

Stanley nodded in agreement. "Both of them admitted that they were friends."

The man injected the sharp end of the needle through Margaret's shirt and into her arm. I gulped and held my neck, for it reminded me of the horrific event that took place not long ago. When Margaret desired to pierce me using her arrow.

Scarlett noticed my discomfort and hugged me. "You know, you do not have to be here," she said. "You can always wait outside. You know what? How about we do that? I will even come with you if you would like."

I pulled my hand away from my throat and took a deep breath and let it out slowly. My eyes were locked on a person whom I had not seen since book seven.

Ava. Why was she even here at the hospital? My only hope was that she was getting checked in as a mentally ill patient.

"Not yet," I told her. "I need to have a talk."

"With who? Me?"

"No." I motioned my head to Ava. "Her."

Scarlett squinted at her. "Who is she? And why is one eye blue while the other is red?"

"She goes by Ava Campbell. You know. Sarah informed you about her and how she was kidnapped by her."

My sister did not respond and kept silent. We watched as Margaret collapsed onto the floor, sleeping, and the the two men scooped her up.

"Do you know her?" the man who did not inject her questioned Ava.

"Honestly, I do not," Ava replied. "She believes that I am someone else. Avery. A friend of hers who died years ago. She thinks that I am her. But I played along in order to not get her upset."

"But she did get upset," Stanley pointed out.

"She assumed that I was Avery."

The men carried Margaret away, and Mr. Hawk rushed after them.

"May I come with you?" he asked them. "She is my daughter."

"Sure," one of the men accepted. "And by the way, do you know that boy?"

"Yes."

"How the heck did he have a psychopath girlfriend? Did he not know that she was mentally unstable?"

"Well...um..." Mr. Hawk looked back at us. "You kids stay in the waiting room. I will return shortly."

With that, he, the men, and Margaret disappeared around a corner.

Ava placed both her hands and arms behind her back, and her grin grew wide. "Lucky me," she said. "That rule does not apply to me because I am not a child."

"We are teenagers," Skippy argued. "He only called us kids because the four of us are living with the dude."

"Whatever. Now, if you will excuse me..."

I was about to say something, when my sister strolled up to her.

"How dare you," Scarlett said. She slapped her. Then twice. "How dare you!"

Ava held her cheek and rubbed it, and again, no red spots were on it. She tossed her hair back. "I know you. I know who you are."

"You had better. 'Cause I know who you are." She was about to slap her again, but Ava grasped her wrist. The evil smile that had been on Ava's face was wiped off clean.

"Oh, really? Then tell me...Scarlett. Who am I?"

"You are the person who kidnapped my best friend. And guess what? You kidnapped the wrong friend!"

Ava brought her face close to hers so that the tips of their noses were touching. "Did she tell you why I did it?"

"You did it so that she could not warn Margie and her friends about you!"

"No. I did it because she freed her grandfather and his wife from their cells. If you do not believe me, ask Margaret when she wakes up."