𝐋𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐈𝐧 𝐉𝐚𝐩𝐚𝐧 ↢ two ↣ ᴄᴀᴍɪʟᴀ ᴄᴀʙᴇʟʟᴏ

"I pretend that
I'm not ready
Why do we put each other through hell?
Why can't we just get over ourselves?"

In the midst of recording an idea for a song in the studio, my manager came in and told me to create something more upbeat. I sighed, telling him I liked the song I was currently working on. He said that I could work on it later, but I just needed a better song to promote my new album.

My manager had been getting my nerves lately, but it was because he wanted what was best for me. I understood that. He just didn't want me to release my second album and become a flop.

My first album had gained a lot of attention and won many awards. Some even say that I 'swept up' the 2018 Grammys.

But since the success of my first album and winning many awards, I haven't released anything new. Except for a duet with my new friend Shawn Mendes. Surprisingly, we had wrote a few songs together but only released one because it seemed like it would become a smash hit. In the end, we were right. There's Nothing Holding Me Back, hit high in the Billboard Top 100 soon after it's release.

Fast forward to now, and the song was still doing great but my manger and even the fans believe that it's not enough. I need to release new music.

At the moment, I've been sitting at the booth in the studio jotting down ideas for a song. To be honest, it's not going so well.

"I want you close to me
I want you close, I want you closer
But when you're here with me
It's hard to tell just what you're after."

Sighing, I put my pencil down and rubbed my hands over my face.

"Hey, Y/N." I looked towards the door to see Shawn and Julia Michaels walk in.

"Oh hey, Shawn." I greeted the Canadian before waving at Julia. "So what's up?" I asked the two, swivelling the chair to face them.

"Your manager said you were busy writing a song, so we snuck in to see how you were going." Shawn said, walking over to look at the paper I had previously written and scribbled on.

"Aw, you guys didn't have to do that." I said, standing up from the chair with a stretch.

"Well, we were coming to the studio anyway. Julia and I are actually working on a song together." Shawn said, gesturing to Julia with a guitar case in hand.

"Oh cool, I'd love to hear anything you've got so far." I admitted honestly. I loved hearing Shawn sing. I mean, I like girls and all, but I can still appreciate a fine male specimen such as Shawn Mendes.

The Canadian then reached into his back pocket and grabbed his phone, swiping it open and tapping on it before putting the speaker towards my ear.

"Wow." I gushed after hearing the clip on his phone. Julia has an incredible voice. "Where's my hit song at?" I joked, causing the two to laugh.

"Well, after seeing what you've wrote on your page, I honestly think Julia and I should stay to help you."

"It's really bad, isn't it?" I whined, scratching the top of my head with a frown.

"No, of course not. I just think we should give you something easier." Shawn said, smiling at Julia.

"What do you mean?" I asked, slightly confused to what he had meant.

Shawn then gave me a speech on how our song together was huge and still is, then about how since we're both working on albums we should do another duet as well as help each other with other songs. Julia had already finished songs and offered them to me. Initially, I had said no. But ultimately agreed by taking a song from her that wasn't completely finished, so that I'd still be working for it.

Shawn, Julia and I spent hours in the booth writing, singing and strumming our ideas. After finishing our duet, I forced Shawn and Julia to record theirs. Unfortunately, during that, Julia was called away and then it was just Shawn and I.

He then confided in me his feelings for Julia, admitting he really likes her and wants to be more than friends. I gave him advice, then asked him for some about Camila.

"You know, you could surprise her." Shawn said as I strummed away on his guitar. I furrowed my eyebrows, looking up at the brunette.

"What? How?" I asked. Shawn shrugged, swivelling on the chair.

"Like find out where's she staying and fly out there."

"I don't know, Shawn. It sounds kind of risky." I said with sigh, walking over to place his guitar back in it's case.

"Y/N, you're literally the biggest risk taker I know. You had the balls to ask your best friend out, despite thinking you were in the friend zone!" Shawn argued, standing up.

"So? That doesn't mean I'm going to fly halfway across the damn country to be rejected." I defended, closing the guitar case and sitting on the couch.

"Rejected? Y/N, Camila has the biggest heart eyes for you. She's not going to suddenly reject you for surprising her." Shawn said, sitting down beside me. "She would actually really appreciate it. She texts me all the time saying that she's lonely, and I bet she does the same with you."

I didn't say anything to defend myself on that note because Shawn was right. Camila would constantly text me on how she was lonely and how she wanted to cuddle.

I sighed in defeat, rolling my head slowly over to face Shawn.

"You're paying for my plane ticket." I said, causing a large smile to break out on Shawn's face.

"Yay!" He squealed, standing from the couch. "Now come on, we've gotta get you packed and ready to go!" Shawn exclaimed, grabbing his guitar and heading towards the door.

"Wait!" I called out, making Shawn turn around. "What are we going to call this song?" He scratched the top of his head in thought before answering.

"Nervous."

|~/\~<>~/\~|