Chapter 1

Savannah's POV

It was a cold winters morning. The skies were still pitch black at 5:30 in the morning as I walked my way into town with a steaming cup of coffee in my hands.

There was very few people in the streets as I made my normal route to work at the local hospital. I greeted some of the workers who had already started their shifts before making my way to the locker room to store my things before changing into my uniform.

"Good morning Sav." Melissa, one of my co-workers and best friends greeted me unenthusiastically, yawning behind her hand. "Good morning to you to Mel." I laughed as she leaned against the lockers as the poor girl struggled to keep her eyes open.

"Here. I think you need this more than I do." I giggled, handing out her fresh coffee to Melissa, which she refused to take at first but as I insisted, she was quick to take the cup and sip lightly on the hot liquid, moaning at the warmth she felt in her hands.

"Whats on your schedule for today?" Melissa asked, trying to make small talk before our shifts started. "I'm on medicine rounds this morning I think. What's on yours?" I ask, returning the question. "Ugh, can we switch? I'm on bed pan duty." She pretended to gag, making me laugh.

"What floor are you assigned to?" I smile, enjoying the feeling of knowing I'd be on a clean slate (literally) until at least 12. "Five." She huffed and I winced dramatically. "Ohh. You got Mr Ronson. Can't say I'm not happy for not taking the shift swap." I laugh, quickly tying my shoes before buttoning my uniform securely.

"Hey, don't pick on my pal. He's the only generous old person in this hospital." She chuckled before finishing the coffee and made her way out of the locker room, myself quickly following behind.

"I'm on floor nine, so I guess I'll see you in the break room." I sniggered at the look on her face as she huffed. "Adios amigo." She grumbled as I waved and walked into the lift.

I arrived at my floor, quickly going to the medical supply units to retrieve the medicine for the patients and placed them on my cart before making my way around the rooms.

"Good morning Mrs Nelson. How are you feeling today?" I asked sweetly as I looked at the tired woman on the bed before me, struggling slightly with her words. "I live to see another day. I'm happy darling." She spoke breathlessly. I give her a warm smile and adjust her bed so she wouldn't choke on her water and hand her the pills. I did the same for the other three beds in the room, making small talk as I went along before I made my way into room 9.2.

I repeated the same thing, giving out the medicines assigned to each patient, making small talk as I went along until all rooms had been completed before turning into the open office area to process some paper work.

It was quiet as it had only past 8am so I had peace to right out paperwork for the patients and file them into the correct cabinets. So quiet that what was being said on the small tv behind me, couldn't be ignored.

News Reporter: "You've heard it here first folks. CEO and Entrepreneur Hayes Calloway has took a step down from the managing position at his company.

Reports say that this decision has been in the making since last March. Rumours have sparked about sudden changes within Calloway that his parents aren't willing to take the risk of Hayes continuing his position at Calloway & Sons Enterprise's.

There is more to come on this story so tuned for more updates at 6pm.

I've been your host, Richard Morran."

Hayes Calloway.

Now there's a name I haven't heard in a while.

I ripped my eyes from the screen and cleared my throat, brushing the thoughts from my mind as I made my way to the break room.

"Did you hear the news?" Melissa appeared from nowhere, making me jump. "Gosh you scared me." I gasped, placing a hand over my heart. "Yeah, I saw." I looked down to my papers, trying to forget about it all, but Melissa wasn't making anything better by continuing with her opinions.

"I can't believe it. He was never this reckless, now he's throwing his company down a toilet? Seriously? What is wrong with that man? When you two were together he was-" I cut her off, raising my hand as a sign to stop.

"Oh, Sav, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to." She apologised sincerely and I just brushed it off. "It's okay Mel. I've got to cover paper work upstairs. I'll see you later."

I didn't want to be anywhere near a tv or a radio for the rest of the day, and the only desk in this place without a god damn tv is upstairs near the breakroom.

I didn't give her a chance to protest anymore so I took it upon myself to leave and continue towards the stairs.

Could this day get any worse?