Chapter 15

Hayes' POV

Making my way back to the kitchen with Savannah, I try everything to refrain from accidentally throwing my fist towards that bastards face.

I looked at my mother. He couldn't even see she was dying right next to him.

I felt Savannah sit in the seat beside me as she passed the potatoes over to my mother as they made small talk.

"So, I thought we could continue our conversation from last time about the company." Joseph spoke up, sipping on his glass of wine as Savannah and my mother prepared dinner.

Savannah's head snapped up as she heard the topic of the conversation and instantly looked at me with pleading eyes. I let out a sigh, mentally poking my eyes out as I forced a smile. "Of course. Business is going well as usual." I state clearly as I clenched my fist under the table.

"I know it had a downfall in April. And as off our last conversation, I don't want to be the one to take over the company. I trusted you more with Calloway & Sons Enterprise's more than I did with Colton and Chase." The vague mention of that asshole saying about taking over MY company angered me more.

"The only reason we had lost part of April's revenue was because that was when you decided to walk out and leave without properly explaining where it was at in the schedules. One minute we were selling the wrong products, the next we were loosing the wrong customers." I spat angrily.

Who did he think he was? Coming into MY house, criticising MY company? I think not.

"Don't forget it was also the time that Colton and Chase had picked up on their own company's outside the country therefore I was the only one around to care for my mother, who is very sick, might I add." I puffed out a breath.

No one said a word. Silence dropped in quickly as Savannah and my mother never dared to move a muscle. Until Savannah decided to make clear of the situation.

"I think this is enough for one night." She began clearing her plate, washing up as she went along. "Yes Savannah, I think you're right. Come on Liz. We're leaving." His words angered me more at the way he spoke to my mother.

"I'm staying." She stood her ground, wiping her mouth with the napkin before standing to face Joseph. "What did I say? WE are leaving Liz." He became angry, daring to near her. "I am staying with my son and his Fiancé." I stood in front of her, feeling the need to protect her from this monster just like I should have all those years ago.

"Leave. Now." I growled. He finally became defeat and stormed out of the door, slamming it behind him. As soon as the door shut, my mother broke down in tears. I walked towards her, embracing her tightly as I tried to calm her down.

"He isn't worth your tears mum. It's okay." Tears brimmed my eyes as I held her close to me. I heard sniffles from afar and found that Savannah had taken it upon her to leave the room.

"It's getting late. How about you go to bed and get some rest mum? You look so drained." I whisper, kissing her forehead. "What a way to tell me I look old." She forced a giggle. That's what I loved most about her, no matter the situation, she could always see light. Savannah was very similar in that way.

"I love you son. No matter what your father says, you have done such an amazing job with the company. You have brought it to the best it's ever been, and I am so proud of you." She lightly sobbed with a smile, making my heart clench. "I love you too." With a kiss to the cheek, my mother slowly walked away from me, heading upstairs to the room she was sleeping in and I finally let out a breath.

My anger had returned at the thought of him and I immediately opened my secret cupboard, grabbing a glass and the bottle of whiskey, pouring it halfway. "Hayes." A small voice came from behind me as I was greeted with Savannah in her nightwear, no makeup and looking beautiful as ever.

"You should be asleep. It's late." I grumble, swirling the whiskey around the glass. "Please don't do this Hayes. It's not the answer." She came closer, placing her hand on my shoulder. I looked at her for a few moments, contemplating wether to raise the glass in my hands up, or down the sink.

"Please." She whispered, looking at me with eyes that pleaded more than what she said. I sighed in defeat, handing her the glass as she poured it down the sink. She walked me upstairs, looking at me like I'd break any moment. "You should get some rest. It's been a long day for the both of us." She whispered before making her way upstairs as I followed closely behind.

"If only I could get away with murder." I mumbled as I made my way to the walk in wardrobe, neatly storing away my suit. "If you murdered him you'd be in prison and then your plan would fail." Savannah giggled, resting on the mini sofa I had in the room. "What are you doing?" I ask. " Well I don't want your mother getting suspicious so I'm sleeping in here." She stated as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"No, I mean why are you on the sofa?" I ask. "You're taking the bed." I point out as she shook her head. "I ain't kicking you out of your own bed Hayes." She refused. "Well I ain't allowing you to sleep on that thing that barely gives you space to lay down completely." I groan at her stubbornness.

"I ain't sharing a bed with you." She said as if she was disgusted. "It's not like you haven't before babe. Remember when-" she cut me off, quickly placing her hand over my mouth as I chuckle. "Shush. No need to remember that moment." She blushed embarrassed. I carefully pushed my tongue onto the palm of her hand, coating it with my saliva as she pulled her hand back fast, groaning in annoyance.

"Hayes!" She whined, rubbing my saliva onto my shoulder. "Just get into the bed." I laugh, sliding into my side. "See?" I grab an extra pillow and placed it between us. "Pillow wall. Problem solved." I smirk as she just yawns. "Just keep on your side and I'll stay on mine." She looked at me sternly.
"Yes boss." I salute her before turning on my side and closing my eyes.

The last thought on my mind before I drifted off to sleep was how I couldn't believe how much I missed this feeling.