Chapter 16

Hayes' POV

I woke up feeling different. Somewhat happier than yesterday.

Maybe it was because of the glorying sun shining bright through the windows or it was because I had the most beautiful girl tucked under my arm.

Somehow throughout the night the pillow wall had been destroyed as Savannah was pressed up against my side whilst her leg was thrown over mine.

I refrained from moving as I wanted to soak in the moment, reminiscing on the old days where I was able to wake up to her beauty every morning. I looked around the bed, seeing the pillows had been thrown over my side on the floor and some on the bottom.

Chuckling silently, I remove Savannah's hair from over her face, staring at her features. Man she was something else. I got so lost in her beauty I didn't even hear the door crack open.

"Oh sorry. I didn't mean to intrude. I wanted to see what you guys wanted for breakfast." My mother peeped her head through the door as she whispered over to me. I slowly and carefully removed myself from Savannah's grip before guiding my mother downstairs.

"Let me make breakfast mum." I say as I kiss her forehead before pulling out one of the bar stools for her to sit on. I pull out the frying pan, heating the oil before pulling out bacon, sausage and mushrooms from the fridge. "How are you feeling today?" I wonder as I give her a smile. "Just the same as everyday baby." She returned the smile weakly.

"You're still taking your pills right?" She looked at me eerily as my stare becomes stern. "Mother?" She avoids my gaze. "Mother, you have to take your medication!" I stand to my feet, raiding the cupboards and look for the white and blue bag. "There's no point Hayes. I'm dying. There's nothing anyone can do about it." She says suttly, anger raging through me.

"How can you say that?" I growl. "Don't you have any idea what you're leaving behind? Your family, your children. We need you mum. I need you." I break a sob as I'm engulfed in my mother's arms. "Oh my sweet sweet boy." She sniffled, holding my head close.

"I know that seeing me go isn't going to be easy, just like for me when I had to say bye to your grandmother. But I need you to be strong. For me, for your brothers, for your fiance. She needs you and when I'm no longer here, she care for you. I know she will." She smiled teary eyed.

Nothing but guilt flowed through me.

I couldn't lie to her. I couldn't take my happiness for her.

"Mother there's something I need to tell y- there you are!" Saved by Savannah.

Just as I was about to blurt out the big secret, Savannah had woken from her slumber.

"Something smells good." She smiled, sitting beside my mother, leaning over to kiss my cheek. "Good morning." She forced a smile as I suddenly became still. "I'm just going to freshen up." My mother excused herself before Savannah instantly punched my arm.

"What the hell was that for?!" I groan in pain, clutching my arm where she had injured. "You could've ruined everything you dipshit!" She whisper yelled. "You were eavesdropping?!" I accused as she scoffed. "Don't turn this on me. I'm starting to think about making a contact for you to sign! What the hell were you thinking? Oh right, you weren't!" She punched me in the exact same spot, making me growl again, pinning her up against the fridge.

"Or maybe I should reimburse the rules. Stop fucking hitting me." I lower my voice, wishing my mother hadn't heard any of our conversation. "There is no chance I'm letting you give up on this after you tortured me for weeks until I agreed to this." She whispered, staring directly at me. "I told you I'm not giving up on you, so don't give up on me." She pleaded, grabbing my hand.

I stare down at our hands entwined.

"Aww look at you two. Young love. Just can't keep your hands off of each other, can you?"
My mother re enters the kitchen as we part slightly.

"What can I say? She's a beauty." I force yet another smile before joining her at the table alongside Savannah.

This was going to be harder than I thought.