Chapter 4

Savannah's POV

"So Savannah," Hayes mother, Elizabeth, began the conversation as she served out dinner. "I hear you're a nurse now." She smiled warmly as she placed a slice of steak pie onto the warm plate in front of me.

"Yeah, I began working at the local hospital about a year ago." I smile, thanking her for the food. "That's amazing. I always knew you were a bright girl." She smiled, handing me roast potatoes. "Thank you, Mrs Calloway." I said politely. "Please, call me Liz. It's not like we're strangers darling." She giggled before Joseph piped up into the conversation.

"How are you enjoying the hospital?" He smiled warmly, taking a bite of the potatoes. "It's been great. Tiring some days but I love my job." I nod. "So when did you to reconnect?" Joseph asked and I kept silent, not knowing if Hayes would take over but when he didn't, I spoke up.

"2 months."
"3 months."

We said at the same time.

"3 months."
"2 months."

We spoke in unison again. Hayes cleared his throat and place his hand over mine, giving me the thought that he was going to take over.

"We reconnected around 2 and a half months ago but Savannah and I came to a decision to work on things around a month and a half ago. We're giving things another go." He smiled, hesitantly placing his hand over mine which rested on the table.

I smile in agreement and let the dinner continue. The rest of the dinner was spent talking about what had happened over the time I had been gone. Colton and Chase, Hayes' brothers had settled down and married, Colton had twin boys who were now four and Chase... Well.. he's still searching.

Hearing them talk about their families got me slightly jealous and made me wonder where Hayes and I could've been if we were still together.

'Snap out of it! This is all for show. Don't get ahead of yourself.'

"Savannah, would you like to help me with dessert?" I looked over to Elizabeth and nodded, lifting Hayes and I's empty plates into the kitchen.

"So how have things been with you and Hayes?" Elizabeth asked washing the plates before I offered to dry. "Things have been going great." I lied. Gosh, I felt so guilty. "I'm glad you came back. He's never been the same without you." She smiled as if she was grateful.

Confusion dawned me. "What do you mean?" I ask. "He's been so closed off with us. For a while now. We rarely see him, he's so distant. He got in a bad state. It's been the first today in a long time if seen him smile like that." She pats her eyes dry as tears well up in her waterline.

I took another dish from her hand, looking behind me to see Hayes sitting with his father, engrossed in a deep discussion. "How long do you feel like he's been like this?" I ask.
"Since you two parted."

I never thought the break up phased Hayes.

He never tried to call or texted after we split.

It was like he was non existent.

I never knew how he dealt with it.

I was shocked.

But I put it out of mind.

He hurt me.

He cheated.

"You make him happy. And I can't thank you enough for it." She smiled, hugging me. I returned the hug and saw Hayes look up at me through the wall window which stood between the living room and kitchen.

We all had dessert and had a catch up for the following hour. I enjoyed and missed their company so much that I didn't release the time.

"It's been a pleasure seeing you both again." I offered my hand out to Joseph but he refused and pulled me into a hug. "We never did a hand shake, we ain't going to start now." He chuckled, patting my back.

"It was good to see you again love. You keep him in line, yeah?" He whispered, making me smile. "Yes boss." I joked and parted from the hug.

"If you can stop hogging my girlfriend, I'd like to get ahead of traffic whilst it's still early." He joked, knowing as his company workers worked late on, there would be traffic jams if we didn't leave now.

"We'll see you soon, yeah?" Elizabeth asked hopefully and I nodded. "Definitely." I promised before saying final goodbyes and exited the house with Hayes.

"Well that went rather well." Hayes commented and I just gave a small smile as he opened the car door for me. "They just love me." I joked as he just sniggered before closing the door.

The drive home was quiet except from the small sounds coming through the radio.

It wasn't long before we arrived outside my house, quietly laughing at the sound of my cat clawing at the door, knowing I was home.

"Thank you for what you're doing. You don't know how much it means to me." Hayes mumbled and I nodded.

"Well as long as you hold up your end of the deal everyday, I don't mind." I smirk as he rolled his eyes.

"Pick you up at 6?" He asked walking away.

"Thank you!" I should as I enter my home.

Maybe this won't be so bad.