Chapter 19

No one's POV

Savannah sat nervously on the sofa in front of his desk as Hayes stared at her intently.

"Last summer, just after you and I had broken up, I started to feel different." She let out a sigh, closing her eyes to try and stop the tears building up. "I thought it was just the common cold, we were in the pool everyday and there was that time were Melissa done that challenge over night with all of us in the pool."

Hayes listened to every word she said like it was a soap opera, not wanting to miss a single detail.

"It lasted a week, then two and so on. And my mother began to panic at how unwell I had became. So she booked me a doctor's appointment." Hayes pushed himself off the desk, setting his glass down and moved to sit beside Savannah. "After countless appointments with so many doctors, they finally gave me a diagnosis to what was wrong with me."

She no longer cared to hide the tears dripping down her face. "I have COPD." (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease ~ lung disease which causes problems with air flow which worsens after time.)

Hayes didnt know what to feel.

All he saw was the woman that he loved, crying in pain. And that hurt him.

He didn't know how to respond other than wrapping his arms around her, bringing her into his side, being her shoulder to cry on.

He tried to be brave. He tried to be strong but he couldn't as he broke down with Savannah in his arms. He kissed her forehead lovingly as her arms circled around his waist.

"Why didn't you tell me before?" He asked. "We weren't on talking terms after the breakup. I didnt think you cared." She said honestly and that felt like a gut punch to Hayes. "I will always care about you Sav." He mumbled, pulling back to hold her face in his hands. "You should have told me. I- I would've been there for you!" He angrily cried, mentally kicking himself in the ass  for leaving her in her time of need.

"Oh my god, I'm just like my father!" He yelled, breaking out all of a sudden, punching the wall behind him. She stood and turned him around, forcing him to look at her. "Don't you ever say that. There's a difference Hayes. You didn't know about my illness, he knew about your mother's and walked out. You're nothing like him." She cried, trying her best to reassure him.

There was a moment of silence before Hayes spoke up, his voice cracking. "I'm on the verge of loosing my mother, I can't loose you too." His hand came up to wipe away the tears from under her eyes. She smiled sadly, grabbing his hand that had held the side of her face. "Come here." He whispered as she immediately jumped into his arms, sobbing into his neck.

"I'm going to be here for you. Everyday and night. You need me, I'm there. We'll get through this together. You'll start your medication again, I'll be at every appointment with you. We're going to get you well again, I promise." He spoke with a tone like he was trying to reassure himself more so than her. Savannah didn't reply, she just held onto him tighter.

Hayes looked at the wall clock, seeing it was nearing midnight. He looked at the tired expression on her face, instantly knowing it was time for bed. He said nothing but released her from his arms and stood up, offering her his hand. Leading her into the bedroom, he silently closed the door and made his way to the wardrobe, removing his suit, leaving himself in his underwear.

He stared at the mirror, looking at his reflection.

'You're going to care for her, love her, protect her, support her. Be the man you should've been all those years ago.'

He let out a tired sigh and returned to the bedroom and laid out the pillow wall before settling down into bed beside Savannah. 10 minutes had past, 15, 20. All that time they both lay awake, Hayes lay on his back whilst Savannah lay on her side, facing away from him.

It hurt him, knowing she was so close to him but at the same time, so far away. He looked over to wear she lay, her dark brown locks spread over her pillow. All he could think about was how he had her back after all that time... to slowly loose her again.

Savannah felt his body heat radiate through the duvet, sighing. She shifted onto her other side, now facing Hayes as she locked eyes. No one made a move. It was like they were having a silent conversation.

Savannah took the pillow that was separating her and Hayes into her hand before throwing it onto the floor, shuffling closer. Hayes felt yet another tear fall down his face as he opened his arms, inviting Savannah in, feeling relief as she settled upon his chest.

He lay there content, with the love of his life resting in his arms. He watched as she slowly fell into a deep sleep as he ran his fingers through her hair. As soon as he knew she was fully asleep, he pressed his lips to the top of her head, whispering the words he so desperately wanted to tell her when she was conscious before falling into a deep slumber.

'I love you.'